Tuesday 5 March 2019

a Celtic flip

Pin It now!
Remember how I wondered about a Celtic variation here? This is how I went ahead to complete a Celtic variation of Ninetta’s Curled Ring ice drop.

Notice there are no curled rings here, but the beaded rings are raised. I was hoping for more of a water lily effect.  

The pattern for 2 motifs/medallions remains the same as Ninetta's original (I have inked the count in the pic above for easy reference).
BUT, I flipped the cabochon, switching the motifs in the process : the lower one is now in the front/on top, and vice versa.

I didn’t tat a new one, simply added to what was already tatted. One can call this a prototype variation if you will,  with scope for improvement. 

For outermost green round, after the first lock join to previous round, I continued with the Slope and Roll join. It looked better.
There was a very geometric and open shape after completing the green, hence I added more silver rings in the empty spaces to look more like petals. If properly planned, a full round of 16 silver petals would give it more of a lotus/water lily effect. 

as seen from the back
I still don’t understand why the outline is more square than circular despite all chains being 7-7 ! Anybody?

In Gautam (green size 8) and Red Rose (size 20) metallic threads, the motif/pendant measures 4½ cms across and 5½ cms diagonally. The cab is 2cms.

9 comments:

  1. Nice! I like the ideas you've put into thread. I suspect the square outline is due more to the rings in green than the chains. It's been my experience that in designs with rings and chains, the rings drive the overall shape more than the chains. Still too limited in experience to state my theorum, must tat more! And design more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent observation, thanks Mel 💗 So, would smaller or larger rings bring the chains in - needs experimentation...

      Delete
  2. I like your ideas and working on this ice drop, it’s a beautiful pattern

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful ice drop! It's pretty on both sides!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The eye prefers square? It does look square, but isn’t, so I wonder if it’s an optical illusion. Anyway, i like your motif and your developments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting! You give us all so many things to think about. I never would have thought of getting a different look by flipping the cabochon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everybody :-)))
    When it's your pattern, Ninetta, it has to be beautiful whichever way you look at it ;-P

    Jane, that is an interesting observation!!! Although I always thought we evolved to prefer round? I'm looking again and now there appears to be a Middle Eastern/Mughal kind of arched tile effect - but the eye is still drawn to the picoted tips. Might use it again somewhere ;-P

    Diane, as the one who brought on this revolution, it means a lot to still be able to interest/inspire you :-D

    ReplyDelete