Monday 25 March 2019

uniformly tatted motifs

Pin It now!
A week back I was tagged on Facebook for suggestions on how to make uniform medallions. I love to receive such questions 'coz it gets me thinking and helps me understand better through a fresh new look. I listed 8 common factors at the time, 2 of which she had already suggested (#6 & #7). The following list has been refined and updated and will hopefully be of use to relative beginners.

How To Tat Uniform Motifs and Medallions 
This is a generalised list of 10 factors. There may be pattern-specific factors that may affect uniformity which are not covered here. For instance the swirl join in the model below. 

1. Thread
Mercerised crochet cotton which is tightly wound will keep stitches even, unlike perle/pearl cotton. Experienced tatters can work equally well with any thread.

2. Personal experience
One’s tatting tension improves and becomes more consistent the more one tats.

3. Familiarity with pattern
Sometimes the first working of a new pattern may not be representative since we are intent in figuring out the pattern. Once familiarity sets in, one can focus solely on the work. Hence it may be advisable to disregard the 1st attempt and choose the 2nd motif as a base or reference for future.

4. Template
Scan the chosen motif or glue it over a grid paper to use as template for reference. All future motifs can be placed over it while working to confirm uniform progress.

5. Techniques
Again, consistency and continuity of techniques employed in the pattern.
eg, whether working frontside/backside or traditional; or whether working chains with regular ds or with reverse (unflipped) stitch; and so on. 
In case of Josephine rings and chains, choose whether to work them with first or second half stitch and carry on with the same method. 
Do not change midways.

6. Elements
Consistency in elements is important, especially when working long chains and large rings. Ensure that the stitches are snugged with the same even tension throughout the entire piece.

7. Picot measurement
While uniform picots are visually appealing, the joining picots need to be of the same size to avoid disfigurement. A picot gauge may be a handy tool to use. Detailed article on the choices we have - Measuring the Picot  

8. Joins
Some count the join as a half stitch while others do not. Some prefer a down join to an up join. Whichever way you choose, continue with it throughout.

9. Beads
If using seed beads in the motif, select evenly sized beads.

10. Blocking
Pull motif into shape and use a template to block each medallion accurately. Blocking really helps in 'hiding' minor flaws or discrepancies, so that the final motif becomes a replica of the others. 

Can you add to this list? I love hearing from you!

Related posts

9 comments:

  1. That's a very useful list, I can easily agree with all points. That's expecially true with earrings, I usually tat 3 or 4 and then keep only the 2 most similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if only I follow my own list in future, Nin, because I only make a single earring instead of a pair ;-P

      Delete
  2. Wonderful topic! Unfortunately my everyday projects look average because I don't heed your wise words. I really like #4 templates. I hadn't thought of that! I have used similar elements whether they are rings or chains in a project as "templates" for all other elements that look alike. That way there is similarity through out the project. Terrific topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My words here may be wise but my actions remain that of a lazy tatter, Anita ;-P
      #4 & #9 are what I added later - it is what comes from thinking on a topic when somebody raises a query. Which is why teachers will always remain learners :-D

      Delete
  3. I think you have covered everything and very well too! I can't add to this wonderful list and well thought out too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree!!!! As I teach, I have learned to encourage consistency not insist on specific points. The only time I do insist is when the tatter is getting frustrated beacuse they are inconsistent.
    Off to prepare to teach Split Chain to a very visual learner who can't stand sitting at a computer to watch videos. After a cuppa for calmness :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Mel, consistency is the key! I'm sure you had success teaching the SCh to your student - you have plenty of calm & good humour even without a cuppa :-D

      I received some more tips on this topic and am seeking permission to share them ... fingers crossed ;-)

      Delete