Saturday 30 March 2019

tape lace bookmark

Pin It now!
I went into a tizzy trying to find tatted bookmarks for 10 books in Hindi I was sending to my MIL for her friend. They were either brand new or almost so. In the very short time left after hunting down the books, I could only find 5 bookmarks, and no time to take pics either!!! Despite gifting or using bookmarks, I know there are more left. Time for some major reorganising, but before that some tatting ;-P

On cue, this video from Sushma’s Craft & Creations turned up. She regularly uploads videos on tatting, crochet, and embroidery, in Hindi. This is the first time I’ve tried her pattern. This is an insertion pattern she calls Tape Lace.
If planned ahead, I would’ve started with a ring at the tip – now the top looks ‘cut off’.
Also, the stark contrast in colours does not show the undulating effect clearly. 2 shades of the same colour would’ve worked better.

Decided to cut short my misadventure and end with a zigzag chain and tassel.
Using Red Rose pearl cotton (size 8), the body is 8 cms long and 2½ cms wide.
Techniques I used : 2 shuttles, directional (fs/bs) tatting, blipless join, SLT, zigzag chain, tassel.

If doing fs/bs tatting, all rings on one side are done frontside and on the other backside (reverse order double stitch or RODS). En bloc, as in the spinning wheel glass mat
SLT is used only once in each block
This is a comparative listing of Chains in Shuttle Tatting, along with tutorial links.
Don’t you like how even my tassel is this time? There’s a trick I’ll share soon.

The Book of the Vedas - Timeless Wisdom from Indian Traditions. By Virender Kumar Arya.
Since there is this ‘Hindi’ or Indian connection in this thread, I chose this book on Vedas. 
It is in English and offers a lucid 2-page summary of major religions, cultures, traditions, deities, beliefs, etc. A bird’s eye view of spiritualism with lots of images and charming layout. One can start and stop at any page! Hardbound with dust-cover.

I'm excited to show the other bookmark I've finished....



10 comments:

  1. If you posed the lace tape with the blunt end down, it would look like a base -- maybe to a candle? Love your work!

    Linda R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful idea, Linda !!! Now to get my shuttles ready again :-D

      Delete
  2. The bookmark looks very nice. I have no problem with a blunt start to the tape lace. :) I like it.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie :-) Guess it's nice to have a range of shapes.

      Delete
  3. I wonder why the undulating effect is lost, I can’t think that two shades will show it better, but I’d like to see. It’s a fine bookmark. I think I should have some bookmarks on hand, they’re a nice gift, especially with an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try it with a single colour for the candle now, Jane, and see whether the wave is more prominent. Eager to see which bookmark patterns you choose to tat :-)

      Delete
  4. It's a nice bookmark and unique compared to most others!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unique, yes quite ;-P I can even see some "flitting" butterflies, Sue

      Delete
  5. Lovely bookmark, the pattern could do with a ring at the top but I think I like it the way it is, great tail and tassel

    ReplyDelete