Wednesday 20 March 2019

bye bye winter

It’s done; before Holi which signifies the end of winter in the lunar Hindu calendar. Took a bit longer because there were days my mind was cliffhanging ;-P 
On reaching the arms, I realised there was sufficient yarn left to continue in yellow. But to keep the chest warmer, I picked a denser pattern (#44 in The New Knitting Stitch Library by Leslie Stanfield). I was going for flames, but made an error and the pattern turned into diamonds. Still it looked good.
It is also a 16 row pattern that needs with multiples of 6 (+1) stitches. 8 rows have been offset from the original, to change into discreet diamonds.

Finally running out of yarn for the arms & neck strips, I picked up the white and added a trim in yellow. Barely 10 gms yellow left now, phew.
I’m going to embroider a small sprig in white, but have burned the fingers on my right hand. Embroidery (and tatting) will have to wait till the blisters subside.

While the photos may not show it, the blouse/top does look very pretty and hubby approved ;-D
This is fresh off the needles, with no ironing/blocking. Will only be worn next season. I didn't shape the body coz I like breathing space ;-P 



Happy Holi, everybody !!! Colour the town with tatted threads J


16 comments:

  1. Lovely! I love how you’ve knitted the upper part with smaller needles. Very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane 😀 The entire body is worked in UK 10. Only the borders are with UK 12. Perhaps it's the pattern?

      Delete
  2. Nice knitting looks like I am the only tattered that doesn't knit. 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the diverse stuff you do, Carollyn, is fantastic :-))) My mom taught me the basics, including how to read a pattern, since I was interested, but it was only after marriage that I got to use, experiment & hone it. Because here we have a proper winter where woolens are required ;-D

      Delete
  3. Oh! Burns on hands!! Nooooooo. Heal fast and completely. oh, and Happy Holi!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really clumsy, Mel, but luckily the blisters are at places where I have been able to do my regular chores, including typing :-D
      Thanks :-D

      Delete
  4. Lovely sweater and you knit so beautifully! So sorry to hear about the burns on your hand - it makes mine hurt just thinking about yours. I hope you heal quickly, without scars.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph :-))) I took immediate action with home remedies but it took over 3 hours of placing my fingers on the ice box (and frequent lubrication) while continuing with my kitchen chores for the heat to dissipate to a tolerable level. I think it has healed pretty well to the extent that the blisters won't burst and are already reducing.

      Delete
  5. Cute top!! :)
    Praying your fingers heal very quickly!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue :-))) Yes, they are well on their way to healing. Even did a spot of tatting today ;-D

      Delete
  6. Such pretty and even stitches. Makes me want to take out my knitting to practice again. I hope your fingers heal soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy knitting way more than crochet, Robin. Perhaps that reflects in one’s work 😀
      Fingers have healed enough to allow me to tat, stitch, etc., Yay!

      Delete
  7. Happy Holi! :) The top looks very cosy and the diamonds are pretty. I hope your burns have healed by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The top looks even better when worn, Lavi, curving in all the right places 😉😆
      While I am ashamed of my clumsy distraction, I am pretty proud of how I handled the burns and those steps have catapulted the healing !

      Delete
  8. Well done, Muskaan! I had no idea that you were such an accomplished knitter.

    Me, I learned when I was a child, but I didn't get very far. Perhaps if I were living in a place with a proper winter, I might have knitted more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grace ;-D
      I faced the same situation - learned the basics from my Mom but Bombay hardly had any winter to speak of. It was only after marriage that I got to knitting every season! But everything had to be tweaked or adapted due to the difference of wool/yarn.

      Delete