Friday 1 March 2019

changing tack

Pin It now!
According to the Hindu calendar, the festival of Holi will fall on 21st March this year, meaning we can expect the cold to last till then. Taking this into cognizance, I spurred myself into knitting a blouse/tunic. It's been 5 years since my last one! Tatting has really taken over my life.

I was given this yarn and the items knit from it looked fine and were said to be warm. There was a shine which I could live with. But when I started knitting, I just couldn’t get a feel for it. It was too nylon-ish, too artificial. It is a mix of 25% polyamide & 75% acrylic. Has anybody tried something similar? What is your opinion?

I tried earnestly for a few days, but finally gave up before it was too late.  
Frogged it and pulled out yarn from my own stash.



Vardhman Little Angel.  Shade LAL011. I only have 200gms and will again have to resort to a white yoke as in this 2014 topThis is 100% acrylic (at least the current ones on their site – mine are from 2012!), but at least it feels more like wool when knitting.
This is the true yellow shade, not the lighter/pale one in other pics.

I hope to finish it in a week, but there are tatting commitments, which may result in a race against rising temperatures. Thus, I chose a relatively repetitive pattern with just enough lace and change to keep my focus and retain interest.  
I used UK #12 needles for the border (p2,k1) and UK #10 for pattern. This is where it reached after 2 days. 

 
Pattern is again from my favourite book. I just naturally gravitate towards it - one of my Best and most used buys! All patterns are visual charts which I find very easy to follow and navigate. 
The one I chose, #196, is an 8+2 repeat over 16 rows. 


16 comments:

  1. I know the feeling, I’ve been spoilt knitting with natural fibres. The book looks like one I’d like to have on my shelf. Enjoy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would so lend it to you, Jane, knowing you would put the patterns to good use :-))

      Delete
  2. Wow another tattered who knits very well, its beautiful. 🦋

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. 4 days devoted to only knitting now, Sue ;-D

      Delete
  4. Your knitting is lovely! I have no experience with anything but simple hats and socks, but I'm not fond of synthetic yarns, even the ones that feel like wool. I experimented with all sorts of fibers when I first began knitting socks, and can tell you that nothing is really WARM in cold weather except wool. I have stacks of acrylic socks and socks made of other fibers (cotton, linen/silk/cotton blends, bamboo, and several other blends that were discontinued around the same time I bought the yarn) and NOTHING is warm but the wool. Now I buy only wool for socks. ;) Other fibers are probably wonderful for shawls and other things, though. You knit so beautifully, and if that's a 2-day piece of knitting, your top should be finished in a very short time. Can't wait to see the finished garment.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, Stephanie!! The earlier (2014) blouse is not quite warm either. But it was only this week that I Googled to realise the reason. And both tops are to be used for very lightwear or as another layer under the warm jacket.
      I do find that patterned stitches instead of simple stockinette, add to warmth. Which is why I work in patterns.

      Delete
  5. You have so many talents! Although I can understand why tatting would tend to take up most of your yarn time :)
    I can't speak from a knitter's point of view since I don't know how to knit, but from the wearer's stand point, synthetic fibers do tend to feel and look a bit unappealing, especially on a warm sweater or vest. I try to stay away from them. Although I have heard of new groundbreaking synthetic or blended fibers that are better than natural ones. The blends supposedly are formulated so that one fiber's flaws are compensated by the other fiber.
    Have fun knitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lavi, happy to see you back :-D
      I read that polyamide is one such synthetic yarn offering durability, lightness, strength, etc. But not for me! And now I realise why the wool I usually use has breaks in it - it definitely is so much warmer than this baby wool or the polyamide one.

      Delete
  6. Wow, your knitting is beautiful! I prefer natural fibres but one has to do with what you can find around you, also there are many beautiful synthetic multicolored fibres that entice even a wool's lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's back to my 'local' wool shop. Even with breaks in the yarn, it is the warmth that counts. Shouldn't have been so lazy as to not go just 1km away to buy new wool ;-P

      Delete
  7. I love the pattern you're using! I agree with you about yarn. I'm trying to use the acrylic I have on hand, but I much prefer the natural fibers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane :-) Sometimes acrylics do have an enticing range of colours, shades, and variegation! No more for me now ;-P

      Delete
  8. Beautiful colour looks a lovely pattern, look forward to seeing more

    ReplyDelete