Monday 25 February 2019

due credit

Pin It now!

Ninetta’s Curled Ring Ice Drop that I posted here was taken up in Online Tatting Class on Feb 18th along with Ninetta's original post/pattern.
Undue credit was given to me (not that I'm complaining when my name is linked with that of my very talented friend's ;-P). I’d like to reiterate again, that the pattern is Entirely Ninetta’s. Arguably perhaps the only ‘contribution’ I made is the following :
  • using 2 colours that highlighted the curled ring effect ;
For 1st (top) motif, load one shuttle only with seed beads
  • not tatting the entire pattern thus making it look more like an ice drop. In the original the last round turned it into a square with floating hearts in the corners ;
1st (top) motif made
  • using the word Celtic/faux Celtic. Reason: the gem is encased using 2 motifs. Remember Rosemary Peel's famous square motif where the 2nd motif is interwoven through elements of 1st and then a 3rd round is added which connects and holds the 2 motifs in place? I was reminded of it here. EXCEPT ....
For 2nd motif (seen from back) wind thread ctm. Silver used here.
What Ninetta did was curl the rings (immediately after closing each) through 1st motif, thus securing them in place and also forming a pocket to insert the gem. So while a 2nd motif was tatted, it was not 'separate', joining as we go. 
For this reason, only 2 rounds performed the function making it easy to stop at this stage; the 3rd round in her original pattern merely added decorative value.

Many more stepwise pictures are posted in Ninetta's blog in the link provided above.

lll

What if the 2 motifs actually were separate? This is how they would look (I have increased the size of silver rings to 12-12)....
A Celtic variation in progress
Notice how the upper and lower motifs are completely separate, then placing them over each other, the silver is interlaced, and the gem inserted before interlacing the last ring. However, the silver rings are floppy and need another round of tatting to hold them together. 
Ninetta's curled rings engineered the feat without the need of another round as pointed above. 

lll

We thank Georgia, again, for her interest in this beautiful design and for sharing it with the class. I only wish I could attend the same way as a year back. Over-enthusiastically, I would sometimes attend even the first session which starts at about 0030 hrs my time! No wonder it affected my health and constitution. I miss the motivating and learned company! 
Congratulations are also due - she completes 40 years of tatting !!! Wishes for many many more to come J

11 comments:

  1. I do love this pattern it’s on my to do list, love the colours you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes its beautiful and makes drops even more fun 🌸😁🌸

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Margaret &; Carollyn 🌹
    I've continued with the Celtic variation and will share soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Credit duely noted. But do take your bow! I am inspired by both you and Ninetta!
    Also, my brain shuts off at 9 PM these days. I wouldn't be able to attend Georgia's class where you live either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you so order, Mel 😉
      My wake-up time is now usually between 7 & 8 in the morning 😯 No longer 5 or 6 am! A temporal phase shift, sigh 😩

      Delete
  5. Very interesting technique!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many ways to skin a cat or trap a cabochon 😆

      Delete
  6. 💐💐 your contribution is always decisive 👍🤗💝

    ReplyDelete