Saturday 23 February 2019

med to cab

Pin It now!

This has been on my mind for a long time. I’ve shared pics of the Rosette Enchained medallion back in April 2017.

It was designed specifically for the This Way or Tat? (TWoT) series (Set II).
Then while re-tatting some of my snowflakes in Lizbeth 20, I worked this too. (it measures just over 4cms). 
Since then, an ice drop adaptation/version has been on my mind. With numerous distractions along the way, I finally completed it a couple of days back.

Chose this dark purple shade in order to reduce my stash (I bought 3 balls thinking it was a grey). But huge mistake using it during prototype stage. Moreover it masks the slight layering effect. My excuse to tat more ;-P

Worked with one shuttle and ball, ctm.
In Anchor Pearl size 8 (20), it measures about 5½ cms with the cab just short of 2cms.
Only chains front and back. Back is worked separately from front, and then linked while working it’s last round. Hence the cabochon can be inserted at the very last stages with just a chain or 2 to go!!!
In above collage, the close-ups are of the back. 

Once I have the ice drop worked in solid but light colours (going to use 2 colours in one of them for a 3D floral effect!), I’ll share the pattern. Hopefully both patterns.

I had experimented with entrapping the cabochon with chains only. There I used inverted tatting technique.    
This time it is simple chains and lock joins with some decorative picots thrown in and a change in chain direction for that inward curve of 'petals'.
 

My Ice Drops (original & adaptations) -

14 comments:

  1. I thought it was black thread, but I see it’s dark purple. Yes, doesn’t show the structure well, though it’s still pretty. I look forward to developments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely design and lends itself to an ice drop very well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jane, Margaret, & Sue 🌸🌹💖🌹🌸

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very cool! I love seeing motifs adapted to encase cabochons. Sometimes it can be quite challenging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane :-) In this case I had more trouble with the dark thread than the pattern. The stitchcount basically remains the same except for 8 repeats instead of 6.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful and creative as usual too! I like the fact of the layering effect and those pictures are hard to take! Along with that dark purple, I think I have that purple too and I have to take it outside to picture it😄 on another note, I look up that India doll festival and it is older and interesting that it is done a lot same way (saving them to take out every year)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carollyn :-)
      As regards the doll festival -
      We are a 5,000 year old culture after all, even if we are not good at 'marketing' and disbursing our wealth & diversity of knowledge, traditions, lores, etc. 😄 We do have the British to thank for translating a lot of manuscripts into English initially.

      Delete
  6. beautiful pattern! Love the ice drop version!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out lovely. I hope I can figure out where the stitch count and technique are shown.

    Ugh, that dark purple is almost as bad as black--my least favorite color to tat with. Because it's almost impossible to see the stitches while working it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace ☺ I haven't shared the pattern yet, but am working on tatting it is lighter colours and the pdf. It may be at least a week before I can upload here.
      However, if you wish, I can email it to you (diagram notated & done)? Send me a message thru my profile or leave a contact address here. You can be my test-tatter 😀

      Delete