Saturday 9 February 2019

a heart in spring

Pin It now!

I do love a challenge! And this time it was kind of a double challenge with Jane McLellan suggesting the use of more colours. It is Sharon Briggs’ 1-31-2019b Heart and read the comments there. I certainly wish the heart had a better name ;-D

In order to get a feel, I worked the first one in single colour (except for the dimpled heart motif). 
TIP : Leave some space between the dimpled heart and ring at it's base in order to accomodate 2 lock joins later. 

 Also took a few in-process pics in case someone would like to reference later. 
Wondered whether a smooth outline would look good; so I decreased the count in the outermost chain and used Catherine Wheel join (cwj). Nope, I don't think it works!

Having tatted many of Sharon’s patterns, I’ve come to realise that my chains (and tatting in general) are more taut than Sharon’s and I need to factor that in to avoid cupping.

Now for the coloured spring impression.
I started the yellow flower on the right, climbed out to the left, then added a short 10ds chain between the yellow flowers in order to get back to the right side and follow as per diagram. (indicated as 1 in pic below)
BUT I realised after completion that this short chain is not required IF one starts with the flower on the left!!! Work left flower, climb out to right flower, and then add green to continue working as per diagram.

Work counterclockwise to complete the left foliage (2). Notice where the split chains and rings are. The lower SR that links to the heart is worked last, so as to continue along to the next round (3).
Interestingly, I got to work split chains in both directions - left to right & right to left! Check out the tutorials here.
Another change – omitted the little ring in the dimpled heart motif. I think this stands out much more as a tiny heart framed by the large one.

In order to frame & highlight this spring-y impression, I added the beige for final outline.
Can’t say how much is evident, but a couple of my split chains are incongruent making the overall heart a bit lopsided.

So, Sharon & Jane – your thoughts ?

Both are worked with size 40 threads and measure around 5cms X 6cms.

Anchor 4054-40.
blue – 00130 ; teal – 00528.
red – 00046 ; yellow – 00293 ; green – 00229 ; beige – 00368.  

With these hearts, I have now officially used every size 40 colour bought recently ;-D


10 comments:

  1. Good for you! I like it. The different elements definitely show up better than in the one colour version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so weird, I was just thinking about how I wished she named her hearts and then clicked on your blog. These are beautiful and it is fun to play with colors, I love them🌹❤🌹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😆 Carollyn, hopefully we can distract Sharon for a moments to name her patterns 😉🌻🌼

      Delete
  3. Beautiful hearts! Sharon is very generous and prolific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her speed from start to finish is absolutely mind-blowing, Ninetta!!!
      Grazie 😄😄😄

      Delete