Wednesday 3 June 2020

why tatting is thriving

Pin It now!
...and will continue to do so long into the future. The reason lies in the huge generosity and willingness of tatters to share their knowledge, skills, experiments, tips, and tricks… be it through text, video, live chat, classes, etc. And the icing on the cake is that most of this is for free!
rainbow - May 31, 2020
I share, with utmost gratitude, shining examples of such selflessness and enthusiasm….


Remember the recent QnA segment on how to attach tatted lace to handkerchiefs?
tatted edging and corner for handkerchief

Kathleen Minniti sent me her own pdfs to share with my followers! She had “prepared some handouts for a Shuttlebirds Annual Workshop class” back in 2018! ( https://sbspokane.wordpress.com )
Such detailed and clear images and instructions – helpful for all tatters! 
Without much ado, here are the links to the 2 pdfs :

preparing to sew cornered edging to picoted edge hanky

And then Ninetta Caruso sent a link to her own post on this subject, which has her drawings as well as further links. And here’s what she said - “If you enlarge the picture at the end, you can see the various stages of the sewing at the border.”

tatted edging sewn to saree

And a few months back, Anita Barry played a magical card and on my request, Bonnie Swank prepared a wonderful video on how to change direction of curving chains in Needle Tatting !!!
Needle Tatted Changing Chain Curves : Convex and Concave
My original pdf was in shuttle tatting obviously - 

Here's part of what she wrote -
“I hope the video is helpful to you, I really enjoyed finding six ways to tat one chain and the reverse/unflipped method was my favorite! I contacted Anita several times and we had fun conversations on the differences between needle and shuttle tatted changing chain curves and thread orientation when reversing!  I actually made the video 5 times! Once I tatted the whole thing and then realized the camera did not turn on, once I taped the entire thing upside down and twice the video cut off on me after 30 minutes! So I have lots of chain segments, I'm thinking of putting them together to make flowers.”

Her Facebook page is Straight-Laced Tatting and she has another needle tatting technique for making floating rings!

I cannot find words to thank all my dear friends in the tatting world who come together share bit by bit so that the beauty of Tatting will thrive for generations and centuries. They are all building on the foundations laid by our previous generations!
With utmost gratitude and thanks …


Patterns/Posts : 
Jane McLellan's Leaf braid edging for hanky and saree ; Blossoms corner for hanky 

12 comments:

  1. Many thanks to you! And many thanks to Kathleen Minniti for sharing with us her clear and detailed tutorials 👏👏👏🌹🌹🌹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a community of passionate and committed tatters, Ninetta :-))

      Delete
  2. Wonderful generosity! I have learnt so much from other tatters since I came back to tatting. Of course there was no internet first time round, in the early 80s. The internet enables us to connect and share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Jane! My own learning and exploration has leap-frogged due to online tatters and resources, you included :-)))

      Delete
  3. Of course some of the sharing isn’t necessarily a good thing. I’ve noticed your pictures on Pinterest linking to a Russian site. Not sure if you know about it , not sure if it’s a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is probably vk.com? I have seen it , too. The day I decided to go online, I knew these things would happen. Can't stop or control it. Each of us as individuals can make a conscientious effort at posting and linking/crediting correctly - no point in blaming or hating the platform.

      Delete
    2. I agree. One was vk, the other was a different site that I couldn’t open, or was too impatient to wait for.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Jane. What hurts me at times is when a tatter seeks my help or an established tatter selects my tutorial or original tip/idea and passes it off as their own.

      Delete
  4. I join you in celebrating all the generous tatters. I so enjoy telling people about all the information and support that's available on the internet. When beginners figure out that there is no "correct" way to tat, it seems to give them courage! Yeah thread into lace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Mel! One of the reasons I try to share as many options as I can! Thanks :-)

      Delete
  5. I've not been reading lately and missed this post until now. I would really like to give a thank you to all generous and friendly tatters out there! I had a book to learn the basics of tatting the majority of my tatting knowledge has come from internet research from others who have shared their knowledge. It is a wonderfully helpful community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day new videos on tatting are being uploaded now, besides all the other forums and sites. So we are truly spoiled for choice - be it tutorials or patterns! And every time a question is asked, it propels me to dig deeper for answers. Thanks Emily :-)

      Delete