Sunday 29 September 2019

the jinx of 13

Pin It now!

I don’t much care for the supposed jinx of this being the 13th flake ;-P But this back from the old snowflake/star has me stumped for a weird reason. It uses my Overlapping Split Rings effect. More effects here, including a square arrangement.
MUTANT  SNOWFLAKE - 
design evolution
Here’s some history –
1. This was a trial prototype from 2016 in Anchor 20. At 5 points/arms, it lays flat.

2. Elaborating on the idea, I converted it into a 6-point flake using Anchor Pearl cotton size 8. There was some cupping. I left it in my tatting box overnight and in the morning, it was pretty flat, and more so after some quick blocking.

I went back to my Jottings about cupping/ruffling and worked in the corrections in next trial... 
Basically cupping occurs when outer round is tight. To avoid it, decrease inner round or increase outer round.

3. Wondering how it would look in a single colour, I chose Anchor 20, but the center rings are 1 stitch short (to reduce the center and tackle cupping). Major cupping which did settle after tugging and blocking!
The split rings have 1 extra stitch and this translated into a slightly different more roundish overlap.

4. Fell back on the maroon pattern using Lizbeth 20 threads. And guess what, I had to make 8 repeats for the flake to lie flat by itself!

Pearl cotton differs in it’s looser twist when compared to Lizbeth, but they tat up to the same final measurements. So what just happened?!!

I was ready to share the 8-armed snowflake which is part of the reason it is called Mutant. Seems like the thread and picot characteristics can lead to anywhere from 5 to 8 arms ;-D
It is a mutant in terms of it’s faux Celtic effect. Not true Irish, a bit of a freak ;-P

The online tatting world has blessed me with some excellent friends. Jane McLellan came to my rescue recently; this time is was Ninetta Caruso & Anita Barry.

They sent me possible reasons, solutions, options and enthusiastically volunteered to tat the flake, too. They were ready to count from the image, but I managed to quickly type them some shorthand notations. They will be doing it today.

Would you like to read what these experienced designers/teachers have to say? It is a design bonanza - insightful designing tips, and if you are interested, I’ll share in my next post.

So, what do you think – would you like to tat this 8-armed snowflake or are you a stickler for 6 dendrites?!

22 comments:

  1. I love the faux celtic idea. The snowflake it lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki :-D Hubby saw a possible butterfly in the motifs !

      Delete
  2. Great post! I’m encouraged to know that everyone has these sort of issues from time to time. I can’t wait to hear Ninetta and Anita’s thoughts on solving this puzzle with you. I’m not a stickler for the number of arms in a snowflake, I think it’s beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is this challenge of tatting techniques and designing that keeps me going, keeps my learning fresh, Jeanne :-D

      Delete
  3. Good to have support in solving the riddles that designing throws up. Really great effect, I like the faux celtic look. Nice texture too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 (or more) brains make for light work, Jane ;-P I'm happy to have finally done justice to the effect.

      Delete
  4. 🥰 Thank you for the fun! 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. our Triquetra almost had a spontaneous tat-along last night (my time), didn't we Nin ;-D

      Delete
  5. I would love to read what they had to suggest!!
    Also, I think they are all wonderful snowflakes(and star)!!! :)
    I am drawn(I believe by color) to the 8 armed!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be putting up a post with more pics to share - the ideas never stop, Sue :-D
      Yes, it's the colour, but also the thread (Lizbeth) that might have attracted you - it tats up so well!

      Delete
  6. I'm looking forward to reading their comments! I'm a stickler for calling it a snowflake only if it has six dendrites; otherwise, it's an ornament! I don't mind tatting an eight-sided ornament, but it will never be a snowflake to me! ;-)

    Technology is baffling me. For some reason, your blog posts no longer show up in my feed. It looks like I have some catching up to do with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are in luck, Diane - Nin has already created a 6-point snowflake! Not having snow here, the number of points were never an issue, and I like your reasoning. Which is why I called it a mutant - mutations occur in nature and snow is part of nature, hehehe ;-P

      Oh, don't know how to fix the feed issue ... my loss!

      Delete
  7. Śliczne - podziwiam, jak zawsze Twoje prace. :)
    Pozdrawiam ciepło.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję bardzo, splocik :-) Pozdrawiam ciepło

      Delete
  8. I like both 6 and 8 point snow flakes. And I am very interested in others' take on the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam :-) You'll find their versions fun and insightful. I need a couple of days to organise it properly, with pics!

      Delete
  9. It's a joy tatting the lovely "Mutant".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is doing justice to it's name, isn't it, Anita ;-D

      Delete
  10. Marilee Eaton here, from Just Tatting group, I really like the way the pink one turned out. ❤️ Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilee 💗 Seeing the overall interest, I'm guessing stitch counts for all models will allow individuals to opt for their favourite 😁

      Delete
  11. You really amaze me with your creations, mutant or not I love them all! It’s really nice to be able to reach out for help to all of you wonderful creators!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these sweet words, Charlotte 💗 It becomes a fun way of learning and improving, and I , too, feel truly lucky to have access to them. 😍

      Delete