Tuesday 29 October 2019

beady-eyed

Pin It now!
Some patterns are meant to enjoy! That is precisely how this vintage butterfly felt when Georgia announced it for this week’s class.
The Deaconess Butterfly 1916, re-written by Carolyn Groves in 2002. When I went hunting for a Deaconess butterfly, I found her old site!
It is a well-written pattern, with clear instructions. But I also kept referring back to the model image(s) frequently, to stay on track. It is worked in one pass. A very clever presentation by Carolyn Groves.
I decided to play with beads. Small projects are ideal to try out ‘new’ stuff. And not everything was planned ahead. I unwound the shuttle to load seed beads, etc.
The ‘stuff’ that went on here –

  1. Black and orange beads pre-strung on yellow thread and the green seed beads on blue thread.
  2. Twisted (floating) picots for antennae. 
  3. Eyes and orange beads are ‘up’ beads- they need to go in the ring loop before starting the ring.
  4. Long beaded picot –On the tail ring I made a very long picot. After completing the butterfly, I put 4 black beads over it with a hook, then snipped the picot in the center and tied a knot to keep beads in place. Snip off excess ends.
  5. Rhoda Auld’s method for bead in center of ring. This was new to me. I Love it for various reasons and am eager to try out a few more ideas with it. I used it for all 4 wing rings.
The collage shows how the bead is hooked over blue thread and the loop is held with a holder pin/paperclip. This pin passes through both the loop And the picot. When it is time, a loop is pulled through both simultaneously to make the join. The bottom left is a back view to show join.

  1. Frontside/backside tatting meant I used down and up picot joins respectively. 
  2. Avoiding colour blip in Lock join – I did try my own method, but the thread is just too thick to hide it completely. And I was colour-blinded ;-P I thought the yellow blips could camouflage as tiny beads! 
  3. Ninetta’s blipfree join was used in a couple of picot joins, and as usual I counted the join as 1ds. 
  4. Elaine Gan’s Reverse join came in handy thrice, to switch threads/colours. 
  5. Green seed beads in place of all the picots on wings.
  6. In Anchor size 20,  the  butterfly is 2½” wide and 1¾” tall. A good size for brooch, pendant, or hair ornament
Phew, that’s it. I'm happy, though - getting more confident with beads! If you like this butterfly, fine, otherwise think of me being beady-eyed at the time ;-P

Oh, and I added a center to the Wreath snowflake prototype. It looks more like a flower now! This stitch count won’t work for an ice drop version. I added a faceted glass bead and wound the threads to make a suspension loop for ornament.


Many thanks to all for bringing joy fluttering into our TatLand!


22 comments:

  1. I say you've mastered working with beads! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting better for sure, Mel 😄😃😆

      Delete
  2. I do like your butterfly. Sumptuous is the word that comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up the meaning coz I always associated 'sumptuous' with 'meal' and was sure you weren't hungry, Jane 😄😃😉 Thanks, hubby liked it while it was drying, even before I asked him !

      Delete
  3. Great butterfly and wreath snowflake!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Śliczne frywolitki :)
    Motylek uroczy. :)
    Pozdrawiam ciepło.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you like it, splocik 💗🌹💗

      Delete
  5. What a cute butterfly you have made and you go nicely in my collection 🦋♥️🦋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope to see your version soon, Carollyn 🌹💗🌹

      Delete
  6. Wow! Both are beautiful! I love the way you've incorporated beads and your choice of colors is fabulous!

    Once again, your posts are not showing up in my feed. I think I may need to stop relying on my feed for updates. I'm eagerly anticipating new posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane 😍 What can I say about technology....sometimes it likes to play truant 😄 But I appreciate whenever you stop by to comment despite your creatively & edu-socially hectic life 🌹🌹🌹

      Delete
  7. Beautiful butterfly, beautifully tatted 💕 I also like the centre you added in the wreath snowflake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie, grazie, grazie, Ninetta 🌹💖🌹

      Delete
  8. Cross-eyed Tatter12 April 2022 at 00:12

    Hi, The Deaconess Butterfly is so pretty, but I can't decipher the order to work the chains. Can you help by numbering the order of the individual chains in your version? Thanks for any help you can provide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cross-eyed Tatter. Give me a couple of days to go through the pattern and refresh my memory. I'll upload a notated pic and leave a comment here, when done. 🌿🌺🌿

      Delete
    2. Cross-eyed Tatter13 April 2022 at 05:42

      Hi, Muskaan,

      Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I'd add a garden of flowers to you in my signature if I knew how!

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Cross-eyed Tatter13 April 2022 at 10:24

      I got off of my phone screen and enlarged her design on the desktop PC screen instead. I think I see the path to take now for CTM. I'm not sure how her stitch counts will work out as I go, but we shall see!

      Delete
    5. Jolly good, Cross-eyed Tatter 😍 Do you still want me to upload a visual? I was thinking of doing a diagram.
      And thanks for the aromatic garden of flowers - it's the thought that counts 🤩
      Happy tatting

      Delete
    6. Cross-eyed Tatter14 April 2022 at 04:18

      If you feel up to it, I (of course) would adore a diagram of yours. Enlarging the view and comparing yours to the original really helped for finding CTM, but now I'm marking blips and joins to play around with.

      Delete
    7. Cross-eyed Tatter, the diagram is uploaded in a new post. This post is also updated with the links. Hope we get to see your version 💖 Enjoy

      Delete