Thursday 31 October 2019

who gobbled the sun?

Pin It now!


A mini video – please disregard the static. It’s actually the sound of the fan last night!


A few days back, Lilas Lace started a Celtic earring tat-along on facebook, which she has now posted in her blog here. From a bit of Googling, I find that it is a variant of the 4-leaf clover symbol.

It was a small project, broken into extremely tiny steps, And it was true Celtic interlacing unlike the ‘faux’ Celtic I’ve attempted so far. 
I chose Bliss variegated thread because it brings out the interweaving clearly. At the end, the motif is inserted within a 3cm ring which I did not have. This was the other reason I chose a thick thread (size 3 or 5), to mount on a bangle. 

The weaving itself took a long time! Pinning it down helped me keep track. After many trials, I reached this stage, where a part of it is still wrong. Took a pic to refer and remember. Then it was easy to undo and redo the last bit correctly...
TIP : Always remember that each chain/line goes over-under repeatedly. After choosing to keep the chain left of each ring above (over), at the next intersection it should be below (under), then again over and under meeting up with the next ring.

Final measurement – 2 inch square.
Pretty happy with it.

Now to make a suncatcher out of it - my very first. Chose a bangle with 2½” inner diameter and scurried over to the Queen of Suncatchers – Sue’s (His Kid) blog

  • Before starting, I tacked the overlapping chains at 4 points - peer closely to see white sewing thread knots in pic below. And notice all the tools I needed?!



Gold metallic thread to shine through the transparent crystals.
I first sewed crystals through the 8 tiny picots, rolling the thread around the bangle frame. I don’t how she does it … I had a tough time keeping the crystals in place.
Wasn’t satisfied with the look, hence added more crystals, along with small green bicone crystals. This time I simply tied and cut each thread! Easier to handle the sequence as well. Yeah, I’m still not comfortable sequencing the beads correctly for pre-stringing.


ecided to snip off the first round of crystals and continued with the rest. Huh, this looked much better. So that was it!

Now how to hide the little ends? Tatting over the bangle using a single shuttle, and hiding all ends within. (cover a cabone/plastic ring - scroll down to #5 for tut links). I enjoy this process as can be seen in my previous bangle projects.  


The air pollution has been so high, that it has gobbled up the sun. It’s dreary and difficult to breathe even inside the house. This is the best we could do this morning. Soon we will be literally caged in - next week we're going to put up toughened glass in the balcony, sigh. Sliding, yet not the same. 

Many thanks Lilas Lace & Sue !

12 comments:

  1. I tried this type of Celtic tatting years ago - it’s not easy to get right! Works really well as a sun catcher! Luckily your beads are sparkly even without sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Jane! The tatting I did at the end of the day, but the weaving took hours & a night's sleep 😃 Thanks 💖

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki 💖 Now to seek out the sun 😄

      Delete
  3. Very wonderful Idea and looks so cute and I think a first to put Celtics on a dream catcher love the whole thing. Its a great size for not going to crazy with Celtic knots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby offered to hang it (he's the one holding it against the trees!) which is an endorsement that it looks good in real 😄😄😄
      I agree about the Celtic knot style, Carolyn 😍 Thanks 💖

      Delete
  4. Awesome first suncatcher!!!!! :) I love the colors!!!
    I do have a tutorial on my blog of how I have strung some suncatchers. As for tatting them directly to the bangles, that is a challenge that would be hard to explain and I don't do it often because sometimes the tatting isn't the correct size- and the way you did it, you can use beads to fill the extra spaces!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it, Sue 😍💖 A while back, I had listed both your tutorials in the link I gave (under category 5), and they help. It's just my fingers that get cross-eyed when working with beads 😄😄😄
      Thanks again for being such an inspiration 🌹🌹🌹

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Renata :-))) I miss your tatting! Hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  6. I do like this. My to do list keeps growing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Ruth, there are just too many wanna-tats around 😁🌷🌷🌷🌷

      Delete