Sunday 3 November 2019

warmafrost

Pin It now!
Snowflake #16 in Land of Laces’ 25 Snowflake Project

Marja tells us that Kuurankukka is an old Finnish word for frost flower and since I perpetually seem to make my snowflakes warm, summery and floral, ‘warmafrost’ seemed like an appropriate portmanteau for this post which has snowflakes in very warm earthy colours indeed - the cool flake is in some subterranean layer ;-D.

Made in one pass using 2 shuttles. There are thrown rings, SCMRs, Josephine rings, starting with chain/starter picot. And I also used direct tatting and directional (fs/bs) tatting.


My starting point for the design process is a motif : the Josephine Ring cluster from this split colour edging. The rest is simply a way to create 6 arms for the snowflake. And in order to make the tip pointier, I used a normal ring instead of the JR.

The little evolutionary tweaks are evident in the image, starting with a smaller arm, to better-sized ones, and then to filling in the blank space within.
BUT, I am not a good student, repeating the same mistake which led to the mutant snowflake! (yes, I remember my promise to post the solution(s)!) There is no way I could tie off after 6 repeats. Tongue-in-cheek, I showed my amusement to Ninetta, and good teacher that she is, she marked out what I needed to do. Very helpful tips, again, but I need to become independent!

I took a lazy way out this time – snipped the outer joined picots (there were 2 joins earlier) to confirm that the flake would lie flat with only 6 arms! Phew! No drastic changes.
I had deliberately left the inner ring free. But finally gave in and joined it at the base. Now, one could tat the ring facing upward (see the single small yellow motif), but I didn’t like the look.



Meanwhile, I tried a few other tweaks in those single motifs, but settled back to my ‘first child’. Does it happen to you? I frequently find myself unable or unwilling to venture too far off the original.

A single upended motif can be worked as a quick earring. I’m not happy with my beads or their placement, and will try to do a better job. The inset pic shows the true colours.

Do you see a larger fabric with the flakes attached to each other? A challenge for another day or year ;-D

This pattern can be worked in multiple ways, using one’s choice of techniques. I followed an ergonomic path where there is least switching of shuttles and of reverse work. So the flake is worked clockwise and all from the front except for the ring inside. I have taken stepwise pictures of how I went about it, and I will share the pattern alongside in my next post.

I am tatting a slight variation ( 12 points ) and want to see how that works out in Lizbeth 20. The ones above are all in Anchor 20 (which is equivalent to Lizbeth 10) and measure 6cms; and 5cms as a motif.

I have other ideas in mind - to increase the arm lengths, or to introduce another motif between the arms. I'd like to play with those ideas as a personal challenge.

Thank you, Marja and  Ninetta!!!  

20 comments:

  1. This is lovely ild love try just started making some flakes for the challenge but don't know if I got the time to post and wanted to read details for challenge I feel I too late🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carollyn, you can start any time, it's just a fun way to get any 25 flakes ready before Christmas. And designing 25 is my personal goal or challenge 😄 I think this designing spree has given me some confidence and knowledge.

      Delete
  2. Waiting, waiting for the pattern. This is beautiful! I love how you share your thoughts and the design process. We all continue to learn. Thank you.
    (Carollyn, you are never too late to start - even one snowflake adds beauty.)
    Mama Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mama Martin 😍 Not a long wait - 1 or 2 days max 😄

      Delete
  3. I love the shape of the snowflakes arms. Eastern? Don’t become too independent; I think it’s wonderful that tatting designers help each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a couple of my snowflakes do have that Eastern look, though here it was unintentional. Jane, mutualism is great in any tatting area; I just shouldn't be repeating my mistakes ;-P

      Delete
  4. Awesome snowflake, and fabulous earring!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your personal challenges inspire us all! So, you're independent enough for all challenges as is. That you journey with a tatting community is not a weakness, it's using your resources and building on the results others have had. What's the saying? "Two heads are better than one" so that we may collaborate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words, unless too many cooks spoil the broth -- wonder how many is 'too many' in tatting terms ;-D Thank you your kind words and perspective, Mel - always a sobering thought :-)

      Delete
  6. Really beautiful snowflakes and lovely earrings!
    Have a good one!
    erba

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty snowflake! I like that you didn't start with a center ring and then work your way out. It makes me wonder if there are antique edging patterns that could be adapted as snowflakes, something to explore at a later date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a cool idea, Diane! Raid your book stash!
      My mistake in one of Blomqvist & Persson's edgings did turn it into a snowflake ;-P

      Delete
  8. The elegance of a snowflake worked in the glorious colors of Fall is a wonderful combination! And it made me think, why not? There are places on the globe where it snows during various seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...or doesn't snow at all 😄😉 Perhaps it is the reason why I am more 'floral' than 'flaky' 😆 Thanks, Emily

      Delete
  9. It would rather be to follow the PDF pattern, pics are helpful but the PDF is better for following it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Consuelo 💞 I will upload the pdf after the FB event is over.🌿🌺🌿

      Delete