Friday 15 November 2019

silver linings playbook

Pin It now!
Snowflake #18 in Land of Laces’ 25 Snowflake Project

The playbook contained strategies for a different game. I tried to convert a square motif into a snowflake but the punch was missing, the huddle too wide. I asked on facebook and received many good responses. Linda Reiff suggested lengthening the inner chain, which led to the following versions (thank you, Linda!). And when even beads have ‘silverline’ in their title, there is no other name better suited than ….

Silver Linings snowflakes.
UPDATE : this is now a single-page pdf with legend


The brown models are tatted in Anchor size 20, without beads.
The short chain can be worked with reverse/unflipped stitches. In such case, the 2nd shuttle can be replaced with a ball. See options on how to change chain curves here.

I thought both these designs look fairly basic. But I’d like to stress that I did not copy anybody’s pattern. It emerged from my motif to snowflake conversion (to be shared next) and the ensuing discussion.

The beaded models are worked in Anchor Pearl cotton size 8. I used size 13/0 Miyuki Transparent Silverline Round Seed Beads.
Beads are pre-strung on both shuttles, and the colour of beads tells you from which thread/shuttle the bead comes.

Beads on the line indicate ‘down beads’ ie. they are moved on the core thread from the shuttle in hand.
Beads above the line indicate ‘up beads’ which are already in the ring loop or on the chain thread.
For right-handers, the former come from the right hand thread, while the latter from the left hand thread.
The snowflakes range from about 1¼” to 1 ¾”.
 
I have used a different format for the pattern in order to save time - I have 7 more patterns to create in this project! Feel free to ask in case of any doubts. Only the first motif/repeat pattern is diagrammed. Remember to join the inner chain to it’s previous counterpart, and also the last to the first.




8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your Silver Lining Snowflakes! They look fairly simple, and I've been looking for some quick snowflakes for my Christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did want to get some designs out which were small and required less concentration. Hope you enjoy them, Diane, if you get around to making them ❄💕❄

      Delete
  2. I really like how this looks. Must give it a try. With beads of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, where's the silver lining without beads, right?! 😉 ❄💕❄

      Delete
  3. Great snowflake. With this pattern I want to make earrings for the winter season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea, Marja 😍 Looking forward to your work ❄❄❄

      Delete