Sunday 27 October 2019

Auld is gold

Pin It now!
Snowflake #15 in Land of Laces’ 25 Snowflake Project

Wreath Snowflake
(& possible ice drop)
This is a prototype using Rhoda Auld’s bobble technique, based on Ninetta Caruso’s pictorial and can be worked in one pass.
The colours, texture, and central hollow create a wreath-like effect that can be inserted over a bauble or a candle. It can be suspended as a tree ornament or add bling for earrings or pendant. We can also continue on the back with a ring/chain round to encase a gem for an ice drop.

Model tatted with Anchor Pearl Cotton size 8 measures a tad over 1¾”. The glass gem has a diameter of just over ¾”

A rings-only pattern using 2 shuttles to stack them facing opposite directions (ring as fish). If it is your first time using Auld’s bobble, I recommend first trying Ninetta’s pictorial and then making one motif (repeat) of this pattern with scrap threads before attempting the actual flake.

Abbreviations and Notes :
Sh = shuttle. R = ring . SS = switch shuttle. JR = Josephine ring (half stitches)

Sh1 – green ; Sh2 – red
I tatted over tails at the start, hiding under respective rings.

Θ -  Rhoda Auld's method to join stacked rings, as shown by Ninetta. It basically captures the other shuttle thread within the open ring, between 2 stitches.
For odd rings (green here), follow Ninetta’s method. Pass Sh2 through ring from behind, and over the shuttle (core) thread.
For even rings (red here), do the opposite : pass Sh1 over Sh2 core from above and down through ring loop.

Always keep previous work to the left.

RW = reverse work. I started off without any reverse work as in the tutorial, but found that the thread emerged on the ‘wrong’ side of ring. For some reason, RW made it easier to manage the bare thread space! Hence, it is better to RW after each ring in this pattern. 

btsSh2 (red) bare thread space about 1ds wide on the outer edge of both sides of the odd rings, ie. a total of 2 or 2½ ds wide bts
Do not leave any bts before starting green odd rings.


Pattern : 
Sh1 : R1: 3 Θ 3. rw, SS
Sh2 : R2: bts, 6 Θ 6. rw, SS rotate
Sh1 : R3: 9 Θ 9. rw, SS rotate
Sh2 : R4: bts, 12 Θ 12. rotate
         JR: 10. rw, SS  Capture with overhand tie to center the floating ring.
Sh1 : R5: 9 Θ 9. rw, SS
Sh2 : R6: bts, 6 Θ 6. rw, SS
This completes the first motif. Repeat 5 more times, joining back in a circle.

Do not cut thread. Continue around the inner margin with a lock chain. (I had already cut off threads when the idea occurred, hence you see a green lock chain).

Lock Chain : [5 +(space after R1)]x6.

Cut and tie and hide ends.
OR continue with the lock chain to make a loop for tree ornament.
OR continue at the back with rings and chains to encase a cabochon for ice drop.

I am not happy with my Josephine rings. Pearl cotton is not a good thread for tiny rings or JRs. Perhaps next time I will use beads instead.

My initial idea was to use stacked rings only as a central round, adding more round(s) on the outside. But I like the shape and didn’t feel like disturbing it. The idea for outlining the Inside, came to me suddenly a couple of hours back, and I made the lock chain.
Another idea alongside, was to make David’s Star in the negative space using interwoven lock chains.

What do you think? Your opinion and suggestions are valuable, so please speak freely.

TõTõT

Have I told you yet? Since mid-2017, I haven’t uploaded any pics to my pattern page – it is already so crowded!!! Then I had this idea and started a few months back - listing all my patterns in Google Doc files, category-wise. It is easy to update and see at a glance. The Snowflake patterns are all up to date with a photo and links. Even if a pattern has a pdf file, I request you to go to the respective blog post since that is where I may post more tips, and updates. And comments often offer a lot of ideas J


 ËÌËÌË happy deepavali  ËÌËÌË

13 comments:

  1. Love this idea and topped off with pretty the little rings😃

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for learning the technique. Very festive colourway. I don’t think it needs another round, you’re right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane 😍 The shape & colours remind me of striped stockings (for some reason Malvolio came to mind 😄😉) or an emperor's turban in Arabian Nights!

      Delete
  3. Thank you, that is a lovely pattern and it seems it was thought specifically for the ice drop!
    I love your systematic approach, you're very organized, the file with photos and links is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't take credit for icedrop -- it was an afterthought, Ninetta 😉
      Glad you like the pattern doc - it is so much easier for everyone, now.

      Delete
  4. About reversing work or not, I should try your patter. I turned my work clockwise, till it was rotated upside down, all rings are tatted front side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is what I was doing, too, Nin. And it works great for evenly stacked rings. However, take a close look at my trial piece and notice the pink thread emerging from ring -- it crosses over.
      I will be very interested in your findings, Nin. 😍

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Sue, last night I added a tatted center and bead and now it looks like a flower 😃😄😆

      Delete