Sunday 17 April 2022

Deaconess Butterfly 1916

Pin It now!

Back in 2019, I had tremendous fun tatting the Deaconess Butterfly (from 1916) using beads to pretty it up. Recently Cross-eyed Tatter left a comment asking for help. (https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2019/10/beady-eyed.html). 

After reading up my notes as well as the rewritten pattern by Carolyn Groves (in 2002) to refresh my memory, and being in a diagramming mode, I decided it would be better to share a diagram than simply notate the model. So here it is ---


And here is the pdf link (click to download) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gDRWAwqyN7f6kdsu9yybtQj9-l_QpsFn/view

For the above beaded version refer to my detailed notes here - https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2019/10/beady-eyed.html

It took me a while to do the diagram to my satisfaction since parts of the pattern can be a bit confusing especially if one is a visual tatter. 
Pay close attention to the sequence. 
TIP: There are multiple joins between the head and body, and body and tail. Hence make sure the picot is sufficiently accommodative. 

Cross-eyed Tatter already figured it out and was tatting it based on her last comment. For what it's worth, I hope this diagram helps tatters in future. I will also send it to The Online Tatting Class, since that's where I first tatted it as homework. 

UPDATE: Thanks to some good sleuthing by Gloria Nelson and Wally Sosa, the original source of the pattern is as follows: 'Butterfly Motif' by The Deaconess in 'Practical Tatting Book No.1', 1916. (Reprinted in the book, 'Tatting- A Potpourri of Patterns' by Handy Hands). The pdf and image above have been updated with this info.

That's it for now. Butterflies never go out of season! So, let's enjoy 🦋🦋🦋
And if you find a mistake, please holler!

13 comments:

  1. It’s a spectacular butterfly. The diagram involved a lot of work, but I’m sure it will make things clearer for the next person who tats it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, Jane, and I hope so too. 🦋

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your hard work with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Emily, it was a challenge I enjoyed 🦋

      Delete
  3. I think butterflys are my fav thing to tat. This one is stunning. (and small tatted motifs)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cross-eyed Tatter21 April 2022 at 09:51

    Thanks, Muskaan! Your diagram will be wonderful to have so I can remember what to with this one if I make it again later, which I suspect I will because it's so delish! I especially love your color blips. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hace tiempo sigo todo sus trabajos son espectaculares me gustan mucho es una gran artista de este arte, yo llevo mas de 40 años tejiendo frivolite y es mi gran pasión siempre tengo un proyecto en mano. La felicito de todo corazon pues me emociona cuando veo que hay alguien que sigue esta tradición. GRACIAS por Compartir Todo esta muy lindo pero lo que más me gustó es el Narciso, pero no encontré el patrón GRACIAS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog and thank you, luisymercymonzon 💕 Yes the world of tatting is thriving!
      The translation is unclear - are you asking for a flower pattern I made or one made by Carolyn Groves?
      My most recent 3D flower which is a narcissus, with pattern, is here -
      Part 1 - https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2022/03/a-confused-flower.html
      Part 2 - https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2022/03/a-happy-day-flower.html
      There is another 3D pattern by Krystyna here (click on the pdf link) - https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2022/04/show-stopper-or-show-topper.html
      Hope this helps. Happy tatting 💖

      Delete
  6. Disculpe no le puse mi nombre me puede encontrar como luisymercymonzon

    ReplyDelete