Saturday 15 August 2020

free together

Pin It now!

The florets fell off the tree and got threaded into a bracelet! This is my Independence Day bracelet, with a stylised representation of our tricolour (or Tiranga,  as in Union Jack or Stars and Stripes).

I remember using the Indian flag colours in tatting twice before - unintentionally in the Spring Garland , and intentionally in Ninetta's Girotondo . But neither had any blue in it.

Each colour has a meaning attached to it. Saffron for strength and courage; white for peace; green for growth and prosperity. The blue crystal in the center represents the Dharma Chakra - wheel of truth, or righteousness.

I'm sure you can choose colours to symbolise your own flag if you end up tatting it.

FREE  TOGETHER  BRACELET (aka Tiranga bracelet)

This is a very simple pattern. Worked in Anchor Pearl Cotton size 8. 

Each of the 12 rosettes is tatted separately. 5 rings of 5-15-5, linked in a circle, made with one shuttle.

The 'toggle' is made as follows :

Rosette : [4-12-4]x5 . To reduce tail ends, work the last ring as a split ring (4+12/4), joining to 1st ring. Then add new colour to make the chains. Each chain is 14ds, lock join. After completing the round, snip off one thread and add 3rd colour. Each chain here is 16ds, lock join.

Tat over tail at the start of each round, and hide previous tail within new element or whip stitch. Refer False CTM and/or Adding new thread to chain (tutorial links In case a link does not work, substitute .in with .com)

I had to improvise a lot while assembling the flowers! Lots of false moves and backtracking, but I am more than happy with the result - the overlapping of flowers is exactly how I'd visualized it.

Without boring you with details, here's how the final assembly happened - Start 3 spiral or Josephine chains, one in each colour. At the beginning, I held open each chain with a paper clip. In the end, it was through these tiny open spaces that thread was inserted to secure the tassel.

We no longer need the shuttles. Beads and flowers are strung through these 6 strings in this order - blue crystal, flower, 2 pearl beads. Repeat till all 12 flowers are strung. End with desired length of pearl beads, 1 blue crystal, the 'toggle' flower, 1 more pearl, knot together, leave a length like a stem for the flower, and knot again. Snip. 

This bunch of threads makes it easier to grip and insert through the spiral chain spaces and pull the flower through, to hold the bracelet in place.

Now here's a behind-the-scenes solution. It turned out that the blue crystal could carry only 4 threads, and was small enough to pass through the flower center. My solution : Depending on the colour of the flower which follows the blue bead, thread the crystal and flower with 4 threads of the other 2 colours. The 2 remaining threads are inserted Between 2 rings of the flower, on 'opposite' ends, and knotted securely Behind the flower. This holds the beads in place, takes care of the unstrung threads, and maintains the overlap!

I could've snipped off 1 thread in each colour, but I liked this solution and nothing is visible. Hence, make sure you have everything pre-planned and pre-measured ;-D

@@@ 

Almost every Indian household starts the day with "utterly butterly delicious" Amul butter ;-P

As I scroll through this 50th year celebration book (2012) - Amul's India - it is like refreshing and revisiting the various facets of India and Indians - a fun way to review history through their weekly slogans! It would not be an exaggeration to say India's Amul. 

They usually avoid controversial topics, focusing more on the positives and achievements. To tell a story in a few short words using clever puns, portmonteaux (mostly bi-lingual), and wordplay - just too good! It is a great book to spend some moments with any time of the day!

To my Indian readers, how many of you look forward to Amul's ad every Wednesday? I still remember almost leaning out of the train on my way to college, to catch a first/early glimpse of the new hoarding every week! Now of course, I quickly skim through the newspaper to see what the polka dotted girl has to say.


23 comments:

  1. I love your bracelet! It's on my list of things to try soon, although that list is so long soon has become a very inaccurate term!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, Diane! Sometimes I shudder but also look longingly at my unending to-tat list ;-D

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue :-) Tatting took much less time than the assembly ;-P

      Delete
  3. Beautiful bracelet, I love bracelets because it's the right length for a lanyard to show off a design and to pass "almost-fast" to the next fun ;-) thanks for mentioning the Amul girl, I had never heard about that, sure I learned something today 👍 Happy independence day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Nin, about the length! As it is, beaded tatting takes up too much of my time ;-P

      Amul is actually an acronym for Anand Milk Union Limited. If you are interested, you should read about it's origin - how one man brought about the White Revolution, and started a cooperative where farmers brought milk directly (even if they one cow!), were paid daily, and then the milk was processed. It is one the Huge successes of India, and totally indigenous.

      Delete
  4. What a fun pattern! I see the possibilities. Mmmmmm
    And thank you for introducing me to Amul. I find such stories fun to know. Of course I, the musician, wonder if there's a jingle or tune associated with the polka dot girl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Mel, "utterly butterly delicious. Amul" is a tag tune/jingle that we've grown up to! I tried looking for the 'original' and most popular over decades, but can't seem to find one with clear discernment.
      A movie was made in Hindi, loosely based on the Amul story, and a folksy song from that movie is also iconic. (https://youtu.be/8AN6FFkHpQo) Hope you enjoy it :-)

      Delete
  5. Superb idea and I also love your tips :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog, Kiraan, and thanks 💕☺

      Delete
  6. Przepiękna bransoletka,piękne kolory !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your bracelet in flag colours and your solutions to make it look just as you visualised. The dairy company obviously has a very good marketing team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane :-))) Yes, daCunha Communications has an amazing legacy of iconic campaigns. But the Amul brand has managed to keep the quality of it's products through the years.

      Delete
    2. Sure, a good marketing team can only go so far without a good product.

      Delete
    3. True, Jane 💕 Incidentally, even the advertising agency (the same for 50 years, and that brought out this compilation) has managed to maintain the quality and punch of the ads/slogans, despite changes in the copywriters. Something which is difficult to achieve as evident in Asterix, or in MAD magazines, to name a couple.

      Delete
  8. I love your bracelet, in the colours of India, I can also see it in my country colours of red white and blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret :-))) Would love to see it in various flag colours and worn proudly.

      Delete
  9. I have white, but I must get some red and blue thread, or I would have already distracted myself and started making blossoms for my own bracelet!
    Our independence day is one of my favorite holidays and I love hearing of similar celebrations from other countries! I hope it was a fantastic day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, if you have fabric paints you could paint over the white 😉😄😃 Oh, or use red and blue beads. But then you have a full year to tat leisurely. 💙
      Like all festivities, it was a muted affair this time, with distancing, etc.

      Delete
    2. Ah what a good idea to color the thread! I will have time to hatch a plan as I finish my current list.
      True, it is easy to be subdued with our surroundings, but it is the celebration of the heart that is most important I think.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful. The pearls shine nicely in the middle of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even more so in real life, Marja ;-D Thank you.

      Delete