Saturday 8 August 2020

laying out the magic carpet

Pin It now!

A few months back, a call for free patterns was sent out for the IOLI Chapter Gift CD, which Anita forwarded to me. Long story short, instead of a single pattern, I sent in the magic square derivative ideas and patterns since this can make a good group project. I enjoyed collaborating with Shemene – she was prompt, accommodating, and enthusiastic.  

https://sites.google.com/internationalorganizationoflace.org/2020-ioli-convention/convention-info

Now that the CD is out, I am sharing the entire package with my dear readers. There are no new patterns, but some have been converted into pdfs, along with the Magic Square deconstruction series.

There are about 80 Charter Chapters in IOLI alone, besides the numerous local groups. With so many tatting groups active around the world, I hope some of you will enjoy the enormous opportunities and new perspective this activity can provide, and will take it up as a workshop or group project. But please send/leave me a line so that I can join in your creativity.

Here is the entire list of urls –

Magic in the Magic Square – complete article with loads of ideas and accompanying models  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bynpB4cDMTkVBiKu16A_8qRL1Qn3K4yq/view?usp=sharing

Magic Heart - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UFju_wctrzLeDMogxZ4Q3F5KH8ktIUOr/view?usp=sharing (this is a new diagram for the motif)

Bonds of Love Rakhi - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5MqI5ByadI4OHNGWndfMGVRaEU/view

Bonds of Love Bracelet - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5MqI5ByadI4Wm9LSDd1dURvaWM/view?usp=sharing (single-page version)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5MqI5ByadI4cm96OXlPaEdEbDQ/view?usp=sharing (stepwise pictorial version)

Better Than Nothing bookmark - https://drive.google.com/file/d/14y2uVcHnD7P0bxxIZQjPsJWV8uxSOOJY/view?usp=sharing

Magic Square Cross - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zpgW3TWP2P9aB2tKsKtoUPJqXNne1b-h/view?usp=sharing

I forgot to include the crosses in the above group pic! The bookmark and other models have all been gifted or used up. One of my favourite Asterix stories - Asterix and the Magic Carpet - partly because of it's India connection!

I have created a Google Docs file titled THIS  FROM  THAT wit ideas generated, extracted, or derived from existing patterns. All new ideas and their actual conversion to lace will be added to this file. Here's the link -  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bQMr97vyWITzsnS44ZYaMDRhCLYI8eTvemZhq0QlO8o/edit?usp=sharing

Earlier this year, my work was published in 2 issues of the IOLI Bulletin. Anita had been pressuring me to send for a couple of years in order to promote tatting. I finally took courage and spent time to prepare the presentations. And as gratitude, it seemed fitting to share our joint hearts patterns.

Add new thread WITHIN a ring (in the Spring 2020 issue) –https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g5GJz1rdzdKqpfw51Cm8lGptsY5S73ca/view?usp=sharing  

Buddy Hearts co-author Anita Barry (in the Summer 2020 issue) – https://drive.google.com/file/d/1frJpMRiHu5fOEH9Zs3VANVGIURZA126_/view 

The heart patterns were already shared as a pdf, but a few small tweaks were made for the article. So I am not creating a new pdf.

Oh, and if you prefer a single page diagrams-only version, then here it is - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DZFxEDvEwe-rPUv1evgPaxic1sbaEnHC/view

And this is how the cover looks scanned, courtesy Anita…. 

I was supposed to receive a complimentary copy of the magazine back in April. It did not arrive, probably got stuck in the lockdown situation. Sadly I have no physical nor digital copy to see or show. A few of my well-wishers enthusiastically let me know that they had seen/read them. The editor, Prabha, does not make a single change to the articles sent in and prepares beautiful layouts.

Although I have identified a few more things I would like to share, it is difficult to find the time to work diligently on them. Hence, I did not send in anything for the next issue.

A very special thanks to Anita for prodding me beyond my comfort zone and also for proofing the articles. And to the wonderful editors for accepting.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, that’s a feather in your cap. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane :-)))) I always reserve my right to share with my blog readers.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!!! Am a big admirer of yours. Whenever I am in some problem i just refer ur blog. Thank you for being so generously resourceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Priya - means a lot. Happy tatting :-))))

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! 🌹👍 So nice of Anita asking for your collaboration, you still have a lot more to share, interesting tatting tutorials and beautiful patterns! Wishing you many CD in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such sweet wishes and belief, Ninetta :-)))) Grazie mille

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! Everything you post is so thorough and well done. I'm not surprised that your work is part of the publication. Thank you for sharing all the links! I'm bookmarking this page for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate your support and good wishes, Diane :-)))) Thank you

      Delete
  5. Congratulations the amount of work you put into your designs you deserve to have them published. You give 100 % inspiration to every tatter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they are not merely published, but worked on as well, Margaret ;-P Thank you so much, Margaret.

      Delete
  6. Your work is so well thought out and journaled you deserve by lines in publications! Your contributions to tatters are enthusiastically received and read by tatters in IOLI and they will share your information with others. Well done, Muskaan! Applause! Applause!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of this would've happened without you by my side, Anita ;-D I sure hope the info is all beneficial, thank you :-)))

      Delete
  7. Take a bow!! You deserve to be recognized for all you contribute! And I hope this spreads the word so that more people have more success tatting more of your patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mel, for your endorsement 💕🌹

      Delete