Monday 3 August 2020

stormy calm

Pin It now!

Or so it seems! Blue skies one moment, and the next stormy grey clouds converge together, enclosing the sun (or is it an orange eye of the storm?). That’s how I see these 2 snowflakes!

If you remember Ruthie May and I joined forces to tat Robin Perfetti’s Challenge Snowflake. It was fun corresponding together and watching each other’s progress.


While I worked it with shuttles and monochrome Anchor size 40 thread, Ruthie selected a grey-scale palette along with orange (don't you just love that splash of orange?!), from her embroidery skeins. 6 strands, needle tatting.

My readers know that none of the several techniques used in the pattern are new to me; most already applied in my own patterns. But the pattern is just so attractive and irrestible. Also, it is good practice, good refresher! And such a clever combo, and padding the stitch makes the chains hold their shape nicely.

Ruthie : This was my introduction to balanced doubles. I had previously seen a video demo link on the subject from Georgia Seitz. I said to myself I'm never gonna need or want to use that. Then I saw your post with the link to the snowflake challenge Balanced doubles included. To coin your phrase never say never. You never know what life will throw at you.”

Needle Tatting tutorials and resources - https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/p/tatting-resources.html

I think instead of 5mm double picot recommended for size 40, I would prefer 7mm. As it turned out, except for the first, I used 6mm.

Ruthie - “…. I was delighted that the color work added the gradient affect that I was looking for. The thread increased the size of the snowflake and gave it a puffy texture that I desired for a mug coaster." 

Alongside Robin's Floral Edging (see recent posts) where I have turned the corner. Snowflake measures 3.5" in size 40. Love it!!! 

Ruthie was successful in making the mug coaster she wanted! In 6 stranded embroidery thread, the final measurement is 5.5".

Ruthie : "It measures 3 1/2 inches across the middle not including the SCMR around the edges. 

Regret:The embroidery thread that I used was not kind to my picots. It separated and became (splitty) which is what embroidery threads do for a reason. Though, I could see myself using that effect in other projects to create an interesting feather, fur, or frilly texture.”

We never stop learning, and what better way than with/through pretty lace, with like-minded tatters.

Many thanks, Robin, for sharing your beautiful patterns ! 

10 comments:

  1. I’ve loved watching your progress with the snowflake and edging, and it’s so interesting to see a needle tatted version as well (I wasn’t sure the snowflake was able to be needle tatted). Well done to both you and Ruthie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, everything a shuttle can do, a needle can! Including true thrown rings off an uninterrupted chain. I have been listing NT tuts in the Resources page. Thanks for your lovely patterns - been a while since I did any of yours 😃😍🌹💗

      Delete
  2. Kudos goes to you for another brilliant blog post.❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so brilliant, Ruthie.... I forgot to add needle tatting tutorial links 😉😃 But I now updated with my page link. 💗🌹

      Delete
  3. I tried to comment earlier and the whole post promptly disappeared! Interesting to see two different colourways. Pop of orange is genius. I like both versions though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was probably editing, Jane 😉 Getting acquainted with and used to the new interface- used multiple devices to make the presentation as I wanted it!
      I agree about the orange in grey scale! 💖💖

      Delete
  4. Love seeing two tatters with different colors and the project's outcome. I like the orange. It "pops"! Your eye is attracted to the small orange rings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or is it a volcano? The coloring made me think of hot lava on cooled rocks. It is a lovely combination of colors!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can always rely on you to come up with an exciting alternative, Emily 💗😍

      Delete