Wednesday 6 April 2022

honoured and humbled

Pin It now!

I wanted to share this post on 1st April but got delayed. My bag of expected and unexpected gifts had arrived just 36 hours prior!!! But let's start from the beginning ....

Last November I was approached by an awesome designer whose blog I have been following for some years now - Erika Tashiro, better known as Tat-Marmelo (or tass_tat on Instagram). She was going to publish her 1st book of doily patterns in English (the Japanese version had been published in September) and needed some help with the Techniques. How could I refuse - it was such an honour.

This is her fabulous Lotus Flower motif she sent. Each stitch is perfect, each chain arched evenly, the thread has a stiffness that I haven't normally encountered in Anchor, Red Heart or Lizbeth. The tatting is so seamless, that one cannot locate the start/finish. Such a joy to hold in my hand.
She offered me a generous fee and free books (up to 30!) I immediately declined the former but asked for 4 copies. When they did  not arrive after a month and she couldn't get any clear response from the postal service, she kindly sent me 4 copies by air, along with the motif. So now I have 8 copies, 2 messages in her neat hand, and all these goodies! I am truly humbled.
I have always admired her artistic patterns and had printed out a couple of her free patterns years back. To have them all compiled in this spectacular book is bliss. Colour-coded diagrams accompanied with textual patterns, tips, and techniques. Clear pics of tatted lace. Very high quality throughout. Impressive and inspiring!
In the foreground is a cute cherry blossoms pop-up card with birds. 

These small Clover shuttles are ideal for tatting with size 80, and am so happy these are bobbin shuttles since post shuttles refuse to move in my hand.

See that reddish circle? It is April Fool's (Reiko Akimoto) 2016 Rose Circle Doily. Erika remembered my attempt to decipher the inserted rings and sent me the diagrammed pattern and technique! One more doily coming up, besides all the lovelies in Erika's own book! 

5 balls of size 40 thread - yummy!!!

Erika's book provides plenty of minute engineering and visual tips for impeccable tatting using Jan's method. Normally we have a few simple 'rules' for directional or fs/bs tatting. Her minute observations have revealed aspects I never even considered. She has micro-managed Jan's method and the above motif bears witness. 

For years now, I do fs/bs tatting and often choose to start a ring or round backside. Erika has done the same and lays out her philosophy in a prioritized list of which elements/rounds to start frontside or backside.

Clover polar grids that double up as design guides and blocking sheets. The last pages in her book have these grids, too! These, however are made of non-woven fabric and I'm sure they are washable, too.
This cloth fabric from Atelier Shishicass, has 2 halves of large polar grid printed on it. Very functional and practical. Now I have no excuse (except laziness ;-P) to not pin out my lace instead of using the rolling pin.

'Tatting Lace, Marmelo. Pattern Book 1' has so many gorgeous doilies, motifs, and jewellery to tat. I haven't been able to start on any, but treat my eyes on them frequently. And of course, she made my ITD memorable!

I mainly helped with the techniques section, that too at the final stages, and did not deserve the Supervisor tag, but she insisted. It was such a pleasure to communicate and work with her. She has been very receptive to all my suggestions and made respective edits, including some on one of her patterns. Her graphic depiction of beading and some other schema and legends are so clear and I hope to learn and apply the same to my patterns.    

Erika has already started to design and tat in preparation for her next book! Yet for close to 2 years she worked on her book, leaving little time to create new designs. Her 'inside story' of the entire process with lots of relevant information is something any designer wishing to publish a book would find useful. She uploaded 3 consecutive posts, the last of which is for her English version - https://tat-marmelo.blogspot.com/2022/03/3.html

Many many thanks for the opportunity to work with you, Erika, and for all your generous gifts! I wish you success and creative satisfaction in all you do.

18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful collaboration, I"m sure it was of benefit to you both. Jane (not sure if my name is going to appear!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane, yes it was mutually beneficial and it is always good to get to know nice people 💚🧡💚

      Delete
  2. How exciting! I love test-tatting, although I'm usually afraid that my tatting abilities are not up to the task. Still, I think it's important for designers to get feedback from tatters of all levels. The lotus motif is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Repeat requests to test tat are proof of your abilities, Diane! 💚🧡💚 My contribution to this book is minimal... Erika and Noriko had already done an awesome job.

      Delete
  3. Test tatting is so enjoyable! I am glad you were asked to do it. The final result is bound to be more easily understood with your help explaining techniques in English. What fun! What an honor to be asked to help out!
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not so accomplished as to test tat her patterns, Steph 😃 I helped clean and clear up the mainly the techniques pages for English readers.
      It is certainly a tiny feather in my cap 😁🧡❤🧡

      Delete
  4. Wonderful and congratulations to both! That's a memorable ITD! I've always admired her impeccable tatting and her doilies are spectacular. Your contribute to the techniques section makes the book even more inviting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Nin. 🧡❤🧡 This book is a keeper with all her beautiful patterns and presentation!

      Delete
  5. What I wonderful gift from her, her tatting is always beautiful and a delight, I must have been an honour to be asked to help her. and your contribution makes the book more interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly an honour, Margaret 🧡❤🧡 And what tickled me (and she wrote this in her blog, too) is that whenever she searched for tatting techniques in English, Google threw up my blog!

      Delete
  6. Wow, this looks like an amazing book and the Lotus flower motif is so exquisite! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has amazing designs and presentation, Marilee 🧡❤🧡 I will be mailing my copies to some of my friends. Would you like one?

      Delete
  7. Looks like a wonderful book!! :) I am sure you were a big help!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a book I will treasure for years to come, Sue, and hope to spend many happy hours tatting the beauties. 🧡❤🧡

      Delete
  8. I agree with you on Erika's designs. They are nice, very nice! A well deserved honor for you! And that book looks beautiful. I know your part will help others enjoy the designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is an equally nice person, Mel, as reflected in her designs 🧡❤🧡

      Delete
  9. Wow! I missed this post! Just went back and read it. Splendid Muskaan! Well done. Beautiful work! And beautiful book!

    ReplyDelete