Monday 20 May 2019

Russian Bracelet and Brooch

Pin It now!
 aka The Importance of Polyester !
BRACELET PARACORD 
This link was shared in a fb group and it was fun to come back to 3D tatting.
But I decided to do a short beaded version for earrings. 

One can start the split ring braid with a normal ring.
For the ring and chain scroll I chose to work with shuttle and ball continuous thread instead of 2 shuttles, with beads strung on ball thread.

I made 16 chains with 8 beads on each.

Really, for better results, for the intertwined elements to keep their shape, polyester thread is an essential.
This is how it looks from the back....

... and against a black background.

Simple Anchor size 40 thread and size 18/0 seed beads. Final measurement – 2¼” long, ¾” broad.  
I tried another pattern. This time the DOUBLE-SIDED BROOCH. This pattern is made of 5 individual rosettes or medallions. After all 5 are completed, they are interlaced/intertwined. I’ve done this type before, though not so dense.
I have no trouble tatting large rings. However, in order to get a stiff ring, I increased the stitch tension. You can see the mess I made (even broke the thread once while closing a ring, and then switched to mock rings).
I’ve decided to scrap this project. No use until I have the right thread. What has been your experience? Any tips?

It’s a pity I couldn’t get better results – the video demonstrations are very clear! I’ll jot it down as gaining some more experience :-D

13 comments:

  1. I’m with you on using the right thread. I’ve stopped tatting necklaces because in cotton they rapidly become stretched and scruffy. The earrings look great, and perhaps the beads will keep them in shape?

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful jewelry simple elements. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous bracelet!!! :) Looks like it could be worn as a reversible bracelet because both sides look fabulous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful bracelet and fully agree about using the right thread!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is a beautiful piece of jewelry! I'll have to do some more playing with polyester. For some reason, I thought polyester would stretch more than cotton, so I've avoided it. Thanks for sharing your insight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about thread choice. I found that polyester quilting thread worked best for one pattern. Cotton thread (6 ply of course) worked better for a different pattern. Also, beads added on the core like Nina Libin's BEANILE designs hold shape better for me if I use beads with inner diameter just big enough for the thread. Takes longer to load beads on thread, but worth it. My three cents worth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a splendid project! Great to work with a polyester-specific project and inform others about it. I resently tatted a motif using slippery silk. Challenging:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all your comments !!! Thank you :-D

    Jane, perhaps if I tried to block it, the central ‘spine’ would look neater. The earring itself is pretty stiff. I think another attempt will iron out the kinks.

    Marja, I remember you’ve done a lovely job on the brooch or something similar.

    Sue, yes, it is reversible!

    Ninetta, I’ll have to wait a long time before I go thread-shopping again – self-imposed embargo ;-P

    Diane, the rings are too large for even tightly twisted mercerised cottons. I do hope you try the polyester threads and share your experience.

    It sure is, Lilas. Only wish I could’ve done the brooch as well.

    These are excellent tips, Mel!!! Thanks :-)

    Anita, ‘slippery’ and ‘silk’ combo could certainly be ‘dangerous’ ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Beautiful jewelry. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete