Friday 10 May 2019

coronet doily for snood

Pin It now!
I need snoods or hair bun nets. In different colours and designs to go with my mood ;-P


This time I chose Linda Davies’ Coronet Doily (the larger version) with the beautiful center and a clever end round.

The initial rounds ruffled but I continued tatting, and a quick rolling-pin blocking after 5th round flattened it out neatly. However, a bit of overlap re-emerged in Round 7.

After Round 9 there is pronounced ruffling (overlap clearly visible in pic), which will get masked when pulled into a snood. Tatted continuously till the end, as instructed in pattern. 


In Anchor size 40 this now measures 6½ inches in diameter.
Round 10 is beautiful with a very interesting construction, but had to be forgone here. Perhaps I can adapt that pattern into a bookmark?

TIP : One can work round 10 but string the tie through round 9. When worn, the final round will create a nice trim or frill around the hair bun.

My first snood (also a Linda Davies pattern) lovingly slogged daily for over a year and half. Finally binned it when many of the outermost chains wore out due to friction with the tie.
I used a satin ribbon in the next (yet to blog) but am not very keen on it.


Hence this time I used my homemade French knitter to weave a loose cord, also in size 40 thread. Let’s see how long this works – it is very soft unlike the previous lock chain tie/cord. 
And for those who had asked how the hair bun holder looks, I've stuffed a bun net with some cotton to give an idea. Cover the hair, make a simple overhand tie, and hide the long tails around the base.

I have another in the pipeline


Many thanks to Linda for generously sharing her beautiful patterns for us to enjoy and use. 

Related Posts
https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/search?q=snood 

21 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I use ribbon - something smooth, but not satin, and tie it in a bow (like tying one's shoes), then tuck the ends under. I don't wear mine daily, but do wear them frequently. I tat the last round - the one that will get all the friction from the ribbon - separate from the rest of the doily/snood so I can replace that last round easily when it starts to wear. I save matching thread or use the nearest shade I can get to match my hair (usually black - the shades of brown are usually too light) so it doesn't show when it's replaced. Never thought about using a doily and turning it into a snood until you mentioned it - GREAT idea and another way to show off your tatting.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learn from the masters :-))) Love your tips, Stephanie! But one needs a reason to change and tat more ;-P
      I wear mine daily at night to keep my long hair from knotting up, and when I go out. Otherwise, it's a Chinese pin during the day.

      Delete
    2. Steph, by 'masters' I meant Linda and you ... just to be clear ;-D

      Delete
  2. Lovely. Interesting that the drawstring can wear out the tatting, who knew? I think it’s a wonderfully practical way to use tatting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do tend to tie it a bit tightly & a lock chain isn't the smoothest of cords ;-P Jane, your lovely doily was calling to me to work a larger design than the usual small ones I've been doing for some time :-)))

      Delete
  3. I love it, and need to make another one in another color. This is a very pretty pattern and thanks for giving the measurements too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still using a bit neutral colours to go with more of my clothes, Carollyn. Looking forward to yours :-))

      Delete
    2. I have two one I bought but not tatted I wear to church from time to time. And one with green and some varigated thread of blues and pink. I posted it a couple years ago. But I need to stick with neutral colors so 8 can wear more often.

      Delete
    3. 💗🌹 I just updated the post with a TIP, Carollyn ..... If you like a frill or trim around the hair bun, work the 10th round.

      Delete
  4. That will be beautiful to wear!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That central flower will really catch the eye, Sue :-)))

      Delete
  5. Very nice! Short hair here, but I would use it as a coin purse! 👛👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A coin purse is an excellent idea, Ninetta 💗🌹

      Delete
  6. Thank you all for the lovely comments about my pattern. I'm thrilled to know that they are still being used. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, your patterns are beautiful, and I still have many of them on my to-tat list! 💗💖💗 Thank you so much for sharing them 🌹🌹🌹

      Delete
  7. Great idea, my hair is not long enough for oe, but a brilliant idea for someone with long hair

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Fantastic idea!!
    Hugs
    erba

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful idea for a snood! This is probably my favorite doily I've made so far. It was also super hard in some spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace 🌹 So far I have made 4 snoods from doilies, 2 of which are Linda's patterns. They work beautifully.

      Delete