Monday 6 May 2019

Matilda

Pin It now!

I tatted this back in Dec 2017. It is a motif from Hye-oon Lee's book "Lovely tatting Doilies Fall & Winter". She generously shared the Matilda motif pattern with the Online Tatting Class in November – one with spiral chains, the other without.

Worked in Anchor size 40, in 2 contrasting colours, it works out to 2¼ inches.
One colour is made first with no attachments. Then the next colour is made, joining on the go to the previous rings.
The long chains overlap. Notice how the chains are not all equal in length? Reason is a little experiment I did.... 

Just for fun, I used Victorian sets for the chains going up/out, and Josephine chain/spiral tatting for the chains coming down/in. Turns out the former are longer!


DESIGN TIP : The spiral chains tat up tighter, hence shorter, than the Victorian set chains. 
Refer Chains in Shuttle Tatting sampler.


I hope Hye-oon is not too miffed with this little visually unsuccessful experiment. Many thanks for this uncommon pattern.

14 comments:

  1. Interesting way of working, has potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like seeing and comparing the chains my favorite is the Victorian sets it's like a tiny ruffle. Very interesting pattern I don't think I have ever seen it before even though you said it's an older one😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carollyn, if memory serves me right, Wendy of Umi n Tsuru made these. She has worked through entire books creating beautiful lace!

      Delete
  3. Lovely and fun! It's interesting also that the Victorian set (or ric-rac) has a front and a back side, it's a lovely effect in little motifs or doilies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ninetta - the 'node stitch'. I've never used this side yet, though. Time to .... ;-P

      Delete
  4. It's pretty and I like the effect of the chains and didn't even realize there was a difference until I read it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confession, Sue - I'd forgotten, too. Except for a word 'discovered' that I'd written.... which sent me off on a Sherlockian hunt. Then the close-up pics revealed it ;-P

      Delete
  5. This pattern has so much possibility! I love your experiements. They teach all of us more about tatting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful design and I like your colours,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went with classic contrasting colours this time, Margaret 😄🌹

      Delete