Friday 3 May 2019

golden arches

Pin It now!
For the last several weeks I would see this Italian Tatting event announcement almost every time I logged in to facebook. (Lenore’s awareness ribbon is another part of it). Here, a vintage pattern was shared by Edda Gustalla and the only ‘rule’ was to keep the basic shape recognisable. She aptly calls it “A thread that unites”!

And I finally succumbed just for kicks. No, I am not entering it in the competition – horrors, it is hardly competition material! But it was a fun journey albeit slow due to all those beads!

Golden Arches Necklace
adaptation of Edda Gustalla’s vintage edging
‘a thread that unites’

1st  arch : a 2-repeat trial run with size 40 thread, no beads. (forgot to take a pic)

2nd arch : Red Rose size 20 metallic thread with beads. Trying to decide the colour of teardrops, etc. I used this method to make the onion rings in order to keep track of beads in each shuttle.

3rd arch : A bit of stitch count tweak, and using red teardrops with the larger garnet, all of which were attached using Floating Beads method.

4th arch : Finishing up. Sewed on gold beads to cover the open space under clovers. Added a ‘reflection’ above the teardrops, too.
Then strung more seed beads to make the chains on either side and add findings.
After this, I made 2 more short chains to complement the arch above and give the pendant a fuller look. However, these arches curve contrary to what I had in mind L 
Interestingly, the double-beaded chains took much longer to tat, having to pull out a bead from both shuttle and chain threads after each stitch. It was stop and go stop and go. Is there an easier way to do them?

I have written down the pattern (for my own notes) but will share only if somebody is truly interested. Pattern writing takes up way too much time and effort and currently I am employed in updating and reorganising the Tatting Resources page – another huge task.

So what would you change in this pendant/necklace to improve it?

14 comments:

  1. Tatting with beads is laborious and time consuming, but very effective. These make me think of tulips, albeit very fancy ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. which is why I'm always amazed at how much fancy beadwork you have done, Jane! Hmm, tulips, with their stems cut off?! :-)))

      Delete
  2. It looks beautiful!! :) That is a wonderful try!!
    I love how beads look with tatting, but I hate the work involved in adding them, such as stringing all of them, figuring out how many I need(I have made lots of errors in this area!!), and the stop and go!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can well imagine, Sue! Which is why I loaded both shuttles with ample beads and kept track of which shuttle is being used where. Satisfying result but laborious :-))

      Delete
  3. Beautiful!
    About the chain with beads every each ds, I remember that I had put beads around the little finger and tatted in direct tatting with a short length of thread between the work and the shuttle. But it was some time ago, I should try that again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent idea, Ninetta! Must try it next time :-)) It is the core thread bead that caused problems after all.

      Delete
  4. This is very pretty! I think you should enter it in the competition.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Stephanie :-)) May be next time I will be more serious about it ;-P

      Delete
  5. It's a beautiful design and the sunny, warm colors are so cheerful! The only way that I know of to help deal with beads every ds, is to keep a bunch of beads at the back of your hand, bringing a bead up into the tatting as needed; and to keep the beads on the shuttle as close as possible, only wound back enough to keep them out of the way until needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby thought it looked almost like a real gold & gem necklace (but perhaps he didn't have his glasses on) ;-P Marilee, thanks for the suggestion :-))) It is how I was working, but looks like I need more practice.

      Delete
  6. Marlee is right she's a bead and tatting lady pro😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that she is, Carollyn :-))) Which reminds me I should work a few patterns from her book I have. Will help my understanding!

      Delete