Thursday 16 May 2019

do the twist

Pin It now!
knit legwarmers 
Finally blogging about an old project, started on 11th Jan 2016 and completed on the 31st Jan, and gifted in Feb 2016. Legwarmers for my MIL. The third set I’ve knit for her – she finds my hand knit ones much more warm and comfortable and obviously customized :-D
She had asked for blue and this was the best shade in the pure wool quality. I've suggested shaping the knees, but she prefers these. 


The day I started knitting this, I thought I'd gone blind - the shade was too dark to work with. Very soon the eyes acclimatised.

Yet, the camera had a tough time getting a good fidelity.


Again, I combined 2 stitch patterns from Lesley Stanfield's The New Kinitting Stitch Library. 


Stitch/Pattern #305 is the broader strip. Originally these strips were separated only with a couple of purls. I inserted the narrow braid-like strip from #309.
This came to a multiple of 14+2 stitch repeats [2 purl,7,2 purl,3].

Twist Stitch is common to both. In the narrow braid, the twist alternates.

UK #12 needles for the cuffs, and #10 for the body.
Jaypee double knit Shade/lot: 044931. Around 5 balls (~250 gms) were consumed.

As you can see, I tried various backgrounds, locales, camera/flash settings to try and capture the pattern in the midnight blue colour. It can be quite frustrating.

The knitting journey was undeniably successful and I happily did the twist !!! 

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I'm sure she will love them.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie :-) These were gifted back in 2016 and she's been wearing them every season since. This year, though she took up her knitting needles again and made her first legwarmers in stockinette stitch.

      Delete
  2. You are a woman of many talents 😊❤️😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As are all my blogger friends, Carollyn 😀🌹🌹

      Delete
  3. Wow, very effective. Lucky lady to have someone customise leg warmers for her! An interesting point that your eyes do acclimatise to a dark colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find knitting requires more motor memory than sight. Perhaps that is part of the reason, Jane? My MIL raves about the legwarmers I've knit her, especially since adding a pattern lends to warmth. 💖🌹💖

      Delete
  4. Beautifully done! Ever winter I think about knitting leg warmers for myself. My feet get hot, but my ankles and calves get cold. Maybe this will be the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You already accomplish so much, Diane :-D My MIL also prefers socks for her feet, but legwarmers to keep her legs warm under the saree.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful work! I attempted to make myself leg warmers last season, but kept running out of yarn. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, that's the cutest excuse I've heard so far !!! I'm keeping it to use eventually ;-P

      Delete