Saturday 25 May 2019

a wee bit bold

Pin It now!
…ummm, perhaps? perhaps not.

Next leg of the design journey from mistaken round to snood-in-the-making which I now think can hold it’s own as a doily.

Continuing from where I left off last -
The outermost beige round ended with 45 repeats. That’s 15 more than the 30 in central beige round. And it measures about 6¾” in Anchor size 40.
The main dilemma was connecting it to the previous round. 
I set 2 guidelines –
1. it should be in brown ;
2. it should be fairly open and airy, yet durable.
That’s when I remembered this post by Lilas Lace – those intertwined/interlaced double picots had caught my eye. She herself has since used the effect in her own doily here.

6. Made the shorter brown round with 30 repeats. All chains.
Ch1  : 5 lp (8mm) 5 lp 5, lock join
Ch2  : [ 5 + 5 lp 5, lj ] x28
Ch30: 5 + 5 + 5, lj
The long picots (lp) are 8mm tall.

7. That round went fairly easily, but designing the next to fit in nicely took a lot of trials. I had 15 extra points to take care of!
This pic (sorry about the quality - it was taken with my tablet) shows the 1st and 3rd trials; the 2nd trial has already been snipped off since it didn't work at all.
This round is a mix of rings and chains.
Ring: [ 7 + 7. rw
Ch   : 5 lp (1cm) 7, lj ,
         7 + (interlaced) 5 lp 7, lj,
         7 + (interlaced) 5. rw ] x15
The long picots (lp) are 1cm tall.

I like how it finally turned out.
Meanwhile I have completed the final outermost round, but will share only after filling in the center.

It was while answering Emily’s comment that I finally hit on the name – Repetition Doily/snood. It is a reminder to the original Repetition Mat (in 'Mastering Tatting') - the round which ended up in the center later. It is also a reference to the alternately  repeating rounds of clovers v/s chains. This is a common theme of Lyndsay Rogers' book where the objective is to take the tatter through simple to complex using simple techniques. 
All rounds in this doily, too, can be worked with one shuttle and ball,  except for the construction sequence. 

Now my question is –
Considering the numerous additions I’ve made, can I share the stitch count for Lyndsay’s round as well?

10 comments:

  1. Talk about a good save you did very well connecting the two I have done this with a collar I made and it's harder than it looks to fill in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to my arms, Carollyn 😃😄 Yes, it was definitely much more difficult than I put across, but I was determined to crack it 😉😆

      Delete
  2. You didn’t make things easy for yourself, but the result is fabulous! Yes, the count is part of the whole thing, you have to share it all or none.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I like challenging myself, Jane 😆😁😄
      Copyright issues had me concerned about sharing. 💖

      Delete
  3. Can I say gorgeous too many times for the same project? I am a sucker for those colors! Eager to see the completed, though when I saw the pic for number 6 in this post I thought that would make a fine edging.
    Oh my! I have been out of dodge for a little while and never even read your response to my last comments. I am glad I could spark some inspiration ; )
    And if I ever get done with my little project I would be glad to email you pics. I set it aside for awhile but am getting back to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds and all that, Emily!!! Yes, the final round is very close to that #6 ... excited to show it :-D
      Inspiration finally struck for the central filling and happy with trials, I will begin it again today.

      Send any project pics you wish to (past or present). I'll be very happy to upload them :-)))

      Delete
  4. Your doily is beautiful. I'm happy to inspire your creativity. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lilas :-))) These long interlaced picots are both functional and decorative ;-D

      Delete