Tuesday 28 May 2019

accidentally

Pin It now!
a happy design accident
Remember the butterfly that wished to become pretty and my dear tatter friends obliged? And the subsequent Butterfly edging? The origins of that pattern accidentally emerged from this 2018 Design Round Robin (DRR) doily …. Read on.

HEXAFLOWER 
Design Round Robin 2018 , Craftree
Coretta,  muskaan, Tim, Kathleen
Pattern (unedited) link

Coretta Loughmiller designed the center or Round 1 of the Hexaflower doily. Notice how the small rings are left unattached! I love the shape of the inner rings despite the fact that mine didn’t turn out as neatly as hers. They are mock rings made with a shuttle & ball. 
TIP: Working with 2 shuttles, ctm, I threw the central ring from 1st mock ring, making a mock picot. 
Worked in Anchor size 40.

I was next in line. These are my various trials (with numerous elemental tweaks) trying to get a design going. I had intended to work an all-white doily. But the thread didn’t agree with me and I switched to the yellow above.

I got valuable feedback & suggestions/insight from Craftreans which finally led to this. Notice that I did Not set out to incorporate butterflies. But as I tweaked the count during trials, the butterfly emerged. I’ve already shared my tips here on how the colours were switched to highlight shape. 
The orange chains (worked in 2 strands of embroidery thread, but yellow size 40 core) were added to anchor the free rings. 
TIP : Kathleen made a lovely variation by joining directly on the central ring to look like stamens.
This beautiful 3rd round was designed by Tim Kaylor. Clever use of split rings!
Considering it’s shape, I chose to continue with yellow so that the piece looks like a large flower.
Kathleen Minniti designed the final round. A bit of denseness to hold down the openness of the previous round. Well, in my version, it is perfect as foliage. A sober shade of green keeps the focus on the flower.
Final measurement in size 40 - 4½”.
Techniques used : mock rings, lock join, split rings, colour placement.

I snipped off the orange from below, shifted it above, and added a new calyx at the back.
As seen from the back. Inward facing chains topped with a ring for calyx.
All except Tim's round can be tatted with single shuttle and ball.
I’m very happy with the way this floral story in tatted lace developed, doing justice to it’s name.

In size 20, the doily measures 5½”. Considering it is small, Coretta has designed another round. I am waiting to see how it develops and will participate only if I think the flower story can continue.

The pattern is free to share. However, since it is not ‘cleaned up’, for now it is accessible only within Craftree. Hopefully Coretta will convert it into a pdf soon.

UPDATE (July 2019) : The pattern link is shared, though still unedited, and you are invited to continue the design round robin. You can contact Coretta on facebook, Craftree, or her blog

Related Posts

18 comments:

  1. What a fabulous collaboration! It’s a credit to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane :-))) It's a very different kind of challenge working together - very creative.

      Delete
  2. Awesome doily!!! :) You all came up with an amazing design!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue :-))) Yes, I think so too !

      Delete
  3. Lovely doily, not been on Craftree for what must be ages, must pay a visit, I love your colours and its a great design with so many contributing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My forays into Craftree have been infrequent for some time now, Margaret. I was really happy with the round robin collaboration though. 💙💛💜

      Delete
  4. Lovely and interesting doily!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad I looked far on my reading list I have been occupied with other things I see your beautiful work and lovely colors have not stopped this is wonderful hugs from Carollyn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and there are more colourful treats to come, Carollyn ;-P Always happy to see you stop by :-)))

      Delete
  6. This is a Very pretty collaboration and I like the color choices, they really highlight the feel of this doily. It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Jeanne 💖 It was indeed a very stimulating experience with wonderful tatters, and my very first time.

      Delete
  7. This is gorgeous! I love it when tatting has a theme or story making it come to life. And it's great to see the butterfly make a comeback. I must really tat it again (I will incorporate it in a flower necklace I am making).
    Great job to all of you in the round robin, you have complemented each other's designs so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, Lavi! Lace should tell a story :-D
      The round robin was a great learning experience.
      Hope you upload pics of your flower necklace - sounds really interesting :-)

      Delete