Friday 12 February 2021

beaded SR braid part 1

Pin It now! Before delving back into the Endrucks Project, I had this strong urge to learn a few techniques/effects that are floating around for pretty beaded split ring bracelets. Keep learning, keep trying. 
Turns out I got only one method done before succumbing to that heart motif idea I shared in previous post and other behind-the-scene commitments. 
No progress on the heart and none on this study, either. Turns out there are too many methods and no time to go into each nuance at present. But hopefully a step here, a step there ...
    
Disclaimer: This is not a serious study of origins, primacy, etc. of technique and effect. It is my whimsical & random exploration and experimentation. I will keep adding to this personal learning journey as and when I can. 

I try to avoid stringing beads whenever possible ;-D - a logistical problem with the smallish Pony shuttles. Now Jon had once incorporated a separate string of beads into her tatting. So many lovely applications, but not on a split ring braid (SR braid). Called for some adaptation.

Beaded SR Braids
In order to clearly differentiate what comes from where -
  1. shuttle 1 has pink thread strung with yellow seed beads;
  2. shuttle 2 has green thread with purple seed beads; and,
  3. where needed, a blue thread with pearl beads.
1. beads on third thread. 
Adaptation of Jon Yusoff's Beads on a String .
I thought this would be easy. Turns out the 3rd thread needs to be anchored before starting next SR! Here is what I tried -
1. Weaving: The beaded thread weaves up and down between alternate rings. 
Well, it leaves a colour blip when brought to the front, (notice the blue between SR1 & SR2) unless using fine, invisible, or same colour thread. Further, the string would be too loose.

2. Encapsulation : To avoid any colour blip I prefer the first of 2 ways to encapsulate the beaded string.
NOTE:  KEEP beaded string at back of work throughout

2A. Encapsulating Within SR (in last half-stitch): Make SR but do not close yet. Move bead to center, make final half stitch and pass beaded string through the open loop (parallel to core thread) of half-stitch before tensioning and closing ring. Thus string is held tight through the last hs and start next SR.
TIP: do it through the 2nd half-stitch, then move string to the back again. It does not leave any imprint!

2B. Encapsulating Outside SR (in unflipped half-stitch): Close SR, move bead to center, then make an unflipped or wrapped stitch with SH1 encapsulating both remaining threads, and start next SR. (I did this before the 4th and also the 5th SRs above). 
This will leave a tiny space between 2 SRs, but it can become a design element.

In both encapsulation methods, the beaded string is not locked and can be pulled to adjust. I went to town pulling away (see above), but the braid can be smoothed back into shape easily.

Despite being invisible from the front, encapsulation simply moves the blip to the back as seen in above pic. Obviously, we need to choose a string that will not be seen as pointed out earlier. I used 3 contrasting colours for purpose of learning. 

3. Knotting: In order to lock the beaded string in place, knotting is required. 
3A. Knotting with 2 threads: We can make an overhand tie or SLT between 2 threads, one of which is the beaded string. In above pic, after closing last SR with bead in center, choose any one shuttle thread and the beaded thread to make the knot, then continue with next SR.
3B. Knotting with 3 threads: Or we can make a knot using all 3 threads (as seen at end). This makes a larger, more visible knot and increases distance between SRs, but can act as a design element.

This is it so far - all my own 'ideas'. 
But before posting, I did a bit more research and found the following !!! 
However, none of these resources make any reference to anchoring the 3rd thread (I didn't check any class logs for possible discussion).  

....to be explored further

12 comments:

  1. Looks great!!! :)
    Thanks for another great lesson!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still on the learning path myself, Sue 🤩

      Delete
  2. Do you think the three thread method is better than just adding a loose bead to each SR? Ninetta’s method or Jane Eborall’s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say for sure, Jane, since there's still a lot of exploration left. But like always, I'm sure every option has it's advantages. 😁🤩

      Delete
  3. Well, there isn't a method better than another, each method has its own reason and applications. For ex, I would use a third thread in a lanyard that needs more strength. Great start, that is going to be another great chapter in your encyclopedia 🥰👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent point about strength, Ninetta 👍 I hope I can continue my exploration at a consistent pace 😄😃

      Delete
  4. It looks fantastic, and you have once again given very thorough instructions. I do love the look, but I don't think I'm ready for all that juggling right now! Maybe I could send you my bead stash and you could tat it for me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do you hate me so much, Diane, to send me Beads😉😄 all these doodads slow me down so I prefer thread-only tatting, though beads do add such cuteness 💜

      Delete
  5. I am going to try this when I get time for now its on my to do list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lovely, Margaret, your feedback will be valuable 💖😍

      Delete