Sunday 10 December 2023

about Helix Tatting and more

Pin It now!

In late October, while working on the Dictionary part of ‘The Six Ts of Shuttle Tatting’, Anita introduced me to the term Helix Tatting and the developer of the technique, Richard Embrey. We worked on a definition or description to include in the dictionary and I also tried my hand at a quick trial to get a feel for it.
My very first trial (with mistakes) without shuttles

While I don’t want to reveal the definition, I will certainly do a sort of comparison to put things in perspective. Richard came up with this technique in 2019 while trying to make an I-cord in tatting when he couldn’t find a tatted equivalent. It started out as a tatted tube or cord but has since evolved and diversified into many more shapes, including a coronation cord and a fish! As always, it is our imagination that gets us soaring into new skies.

Let me list down the major characteristics of Helix tatting (HT) as well as include links to visually similar techniques. Please note that a lot of these are my own thoughts and notes. Feel free to critique or suggest.

1. It is basically a 3D hollow cord or structure, made solely of chains, using multiple shuttles (4 or more). The outward appearance is like a spiral, especially visible when different colours are used.

2. Each shuttle alternately and sequentially acts as an active shuttle to become the core thread, and then  as a ball thread to form the stitches.

3. It is NOT bauble tatting, though it can be considered to be a variation. No separate ‘ribs’ are added for a scaffolding. Instead, each shuttle, in turn, acts as a core thread and provides the necessary stability to the structure. It also 'locks in' the previous segment when shuttles are switched.

4. It is NOT a continuous spiraling chain since short segments are made with a sequential change of shuttles. Each segment can consist of merely 1 stitch or as many stitches as one desires to create a broader shape. Two or more stitches give a more distinctive spiraling of the colours. The spiral is directional and there are ways to determine beforehand which direction one wants the spiral to run.

For instance this 3D Pond Reed prototype I had made back in 2014 using 2 shuttles– it is a continuous chain spiraling around itself, where I used the slope and roll joins to hold the shape. Clearly it is very different from HT.

5. It is NOT block tatting, though chain segments are apparently ‘stacked’ over each other. No lock joins are used. However the outward appearance can be confused with tatted ropes, with or without beads. Ninetta has done a wonderful study of various ways in which these 3D tatted ropes can be made, with links to respective tutorials. A couple of them even create a spiral effect! https://ninettacaruso.blogspot.com/search/label/stacking

6. HT is not limited to merely spiraling chains. With so many shuttles in play, it is easy to throw off rings and chains, use beads, add picots, and so on. Versatile.

7. There is another tatted tube example where we use stacked or layered split rings. No chains involved, only rings. And if the picots are shortened, the stacking will be that much closer. Clearly this is not HT in any sense of the term, except that it is also a form of continuous tatting for a 3D hollow tube.

tatted beaded rope made with stacked or layered split rings https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2019/10/tat-beaded-rope.html

See Ninetta's version of a spiraling tatted rope made with interlocking rings - https://ninettacaruso.blogspot.com/2020/08/gold-rope-chain.html 

8. BUT, there is something that definitely follows the same principle and concept as HT, and also gives a directional spiral! It is called Mac-Tatting (MT) and was first developed by Usha Kota in an attempt to imitate a crochet braid in tatting – it was a flat braid, worked too and fro. However, when I understood what HT was, it immediately crossed my mind that MT could be similar if worked continuously. And YES, it is the same, except that we work with unflipped or reverse stitches rather than flipped or double stitches! And you get a spiral, though the stitches face down while in progress. 

Helix tatting & Mac-tatting trials, together
In my first attempts, I found it easier to work the Mac-tatting version - I had a better control of the threads and there was no tension issue. Helix tatting is fine once you get into a rhythm, but it requires more finesse. And managing all those shuttles can of course be an issue.


A couple of weeks back, Richard was invited to TOTC as a guest teacher to demonstrate the Helix Tatting technique. You can watch the video here - https://youtube.com/live/DXO9Pm0fq1U
Bonnie Swank shared her notes on how to do HT with needles. Richard also shared a practice pattern called Watermelon Dreams, with the class. https://www.theonlinetattingclass.com/patterns
Creative members have already shared a couple of clever ways to organize their shuttles to avoid tangling. I simply laid them down spread-eagled, on my bed. I did find that it is better to leave a longish length of thread to avoid frequent winding/unwinding; and since it is only 1 or 2 stitches each, the long length is not a bother. 

I am test-tatting a pattern for Richard for his upcoming book. It is called Watermelon Dreams Beaded Helix Embellished Earrings
It took me a few hours to find and empty all my shuttles, glue the numbers (I did it on both sides, LOL), string beads and wind the shuttles. 
In progress.
I've completed Round 7. My version is a Caps In spiral where the double stitch faces inside the cord and tatting progresses in a clockwise circle. 

That’s it from me for now ….. Welcome your thoughts.

Many thanks to Richard, Anita, and all the creative minds mentioned above! 

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. 🤣🤣🤣. Actually I should've shared a few beginner tips, Jane, to indicate it is a simple technique except for handling the multiple shuttles. 💕

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I've never heard of this technique. It looks interesting. It makes me think of macrame a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is relatively new, Lavinia, although he taught it at Palmettos a couple of years back. His inspiration was from the knit I-cord. The Mac-tatted cord is originally inspired from macrame (as posted in the links). 💕

      Delete
  3. Aha! Thank you very much for mentioning Usha's method! You helped me to remember it and now I can see the similarities! Actually a very interesting effect, I wish I had more time and could try the beaded tatted rope using those two methods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nin, there is an interesting study ahead when time is available 😁💕 I love the ropes/cords you created using only 2 shuttles (or even one)!

      Delete
  4. Very educational to read. I love how you explain Helix then approach what Helix isn’t. Good likeness with Ushs’s. Your mind is like an encyclopedia Muskaan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Anita 😍 It is always fun to explore new or new-to-me stuff and try to contextualize them 💕

      Delete
  5. That’s my post! It did stick into your comments! Great! Anita

    ReplyDelete