Tuesday 26 December 2023

lighting up

Pin It now!

 

The 2nd candle motif is complete, with pattern. As mentioned here (https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2023/12/the-power-of-15.html) I used treble tatting stitch chains alternating with regular double stitch chains to block tat this textured candle. 

While I wasn't successful in obtaining the intended spiral effect, I have since found a solution and even tried out a very quick trial. I believe it should work. No pics yet.

E15 Candle Motif version 2 pattern pdf - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r3SXvBp6bTwrHxU0Y6veyl2M5lnqA1uv/view

The flame is slightly different from version 1, both derived and adapted from a motif of pattern #15 from Endrucks' ‘Die Schiffchen-Spitszen’,1920.

The flame is tatted separately first. When we start the candle body, the first ring is joined to the final ring of the flame in onion ring style/join.

And the base or candle stand is also different. 

I'm not at all happy with my tatting, especially the stand. I need a change of glasses to see more clearly! And working under a magnifier limits the fun. Hmmm, come to think of it, I could easily have re-tatted the stand from scratch! Perhaps I will.

If you tat it, please do share your improved versions! May these candles brighten up the new year as well. Happy tatting! 

8 comments:

  1. Great candle!! :) I love the treble and regular chains!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous pattern and tatting! Yes, I see what you're dissatisfied with, but I think they look lovely enough for many to enjoy. Your light does shine bright for us in the tatting world. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet and wise words, Mel! 💛

      Delete
  3. The combination of stitches gives the candle a good texture. The stand looks fine to me. I’m a bit disconcerted that the flame is to one side of the candle, but that’s probably realistic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane 😍 I was going for a spiraling effect for the body of the candle, where the flame would be (or appear to be) at the higher tip. Was unsuccessful, hence the flame is not as it should be. 😁 Not to place it in the very center, though, was intentional. 💛

      Delete