Sunday 21 May 2023

problem

Pin It now!

My previous post 'promised' a 3rd round and also invited you to join in. Good news and bad - my round hasn't quite worked out as I had imagined but the great news is that tatters have already sent in their Gorgeous 3rd (and in some cases even 4th) round. Most have shared their pattern as well. But let the suspense linger till the next post.

I wanted to include another interlacing in this round, this time with a ring. First part is fine but then came the logistics problem! Notice the arrow? If I lock join the chain at this picot, how do I get the large yellow ring to interlace?! See, one should always 'think through' - yeah, I'm no good at that!

I tried a couple of options to no avail especially since this is a very large ring. While at this stage, I can insert the shuttle through the space, it will become harder once more arms are joined. There is one more option I can try - floating or bridging chain, joined back into a mock ring. But with this 40 stitch ring, it will be too much work. Oh, or I could shift to needle instead of shuttle!
Moreover, I am not at all happy with the overall look including the last-minute decision to use black. I was going to use 2 small ring between the arms but then I might get accused of copying another pattern. And seeing the lovelies that have come in, I feel totally inadequate at designing as good a round. So, I might shelve mine for the present till inspiration strikes.

Speaking of inspiration -
It turns out the first 2 rounds/motifs are very similar to Jon Yusoff's beautiful 'Quantiesque' Snowflake'. (free pattern here - https://tatsaway.blogspot.com/2008/12/snowflake.html). During my quick online search for Celtic models/patterns, this one did not show up. The most common were motifs by Rosemarie Peel and Sue Hanson, besides a few others. In the mood to try my own, I thought to improvise with twin rings in the 2nd motif (all models used only a single small ring at the end of the long arms). 

Now both motifs are very basic, beginner level. 
Motif 1 is probably something every antique tatting book begins with after the edgings. Ditto for Motif 2. Nothing proprietary after over a century and half.  
All we do is change the look slightly when we change the count or picot placement, or what we do with it/them subsequently.

Further there are only a very limited ways in which you can interlace, right? Again interlacing dates back to Mlle Riego  if my memory is reliable.Yet, the first impression is very similar to Jon's first 2 motifs [her 2nd motif has twin rings but with a short chain between them; the length of the long arm chain is also shorter than mine]. 

Jon explained all this rationally so much better in response to a self-aggrieved third party complaint.

Another similar start was brought to my notice yesterday. Renulek's 'Plait tatting' motif (free pattern here - https://renulek.blogspot.com/2010/09/frywolitka-pleciuga.html). Was Jon's snowflake the inspiration for Renulek's start? 

I know one thing. In my attempt to Not be influenced by the models that came up in my search, I ended up doing something similar to Jon and Renulek - both exceptional designers! I am nowhere in their league, LOL, as evident in my botched attempt above.

Be ready to be inspired and wowed by the models and patterns coming in .... stay tuned and my 'lazy' friends, keep your shuttles at hand!

6 comments:

  1. It’s quite common for designers to get to the same point individually, especially with simple motifs. Which is why I said nothing recently when a braid by Renulek looked very similar to Janes bookmark. Same in the music world, ask Ed Sheeran. Good luck with round 3. I like your post that shows it’s not necessarily easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started Motif 1, I didn't even know how many repeats there would be - I chose a count I liked and went with it and got 6 repeats 😁 Ed Sheeran won the case, so I guess that was a happy ending! Thanks, Jane 💕

      Delete
  2. Nothing to add to this post, very clear and I agree about the fact that we all have been inspired by old patterns (the E Project has taught me a lot about it), consciously or not. I love this game, I'd like joining but first I should clean/reduce my current todo list... I can't wait to see all the different versions 🥰 Thank you for this lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have received 6 models so far, Nin, and cannot decide which is the best! Join only when and if you can, no problem, I know how much we are both engaged in behind the scenes 💕

      Delete
  3. I like the large ring around the orange, that solves my problem, I sat last night trying to figure out what to do with the orange rings, thanks that has helped me to design the round. thats all I am saying watch this space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great, Margaret! Glad this helped. It is why I share my mistakes and all ... never know who might get struck with the AHA moment 💕 And your comment has inspired me with yet another idea for the 3rd round 😁

      Delete