Sunday 14 May 2023

crown jewels

Pin It now!

 

No wonder it is called 'Embellishment Tatting'! What a difference adding bling makes to a tatted piece, especially if it is to be used as a piece of jewellery. I shared the red prototype in my previous post (https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2023/05/wear-me-endrucks.html) and using the very same counts but with beads and crystals, it got transformed.

It looks like a crown, doesn't it?! Obviously the base needs to be lengthened but still .... Hence I christened it 'Crown Jewels' since it can be used as pendant, brooch, or earrings, or a bride's tikka!

This is closer to how it looks in person - golden and shiny.
Because of the add-ons, this version is tatted with one shuttle and ball, ctm, with small gold beads on both threads.

I owe the idea for the crystals within the top rings to Jill McTats. My own idea had been to add a string of gold beads either as a straight line or as a circle to fill the empty space within. She left a comment suggesting "... sew beads in the two large rings to match the drop you plan ....".

Loved the idea and loved the effect! I tried other colours but this midnight blue seemed to really uplift the piece.

Though not discernible, I combined two metallic threads - Red Heart gold and Sanbest #34 for extra sparkle. Very smooth to work with and no trouble closing the large rings.
Some of the beads and crystals have been sewn in later since it is difficult to estimate the size of the tatting and the gem stock I have. 

Embellishing one's tatted lace is exciting and rewarding, but comes at the cost of time. It took me but a few minutes to tat the plain prototype despite being my first 'trial'; this piece took me every moment I could spare the entire day! At the end I was so 'tired' that the final tails at the base weren't even hidden properly, LOL. 
Hats off to all you wonderful tatters who seem to belt out beaded projects at the drop of a hat!

Future Idea - tweak pattern into a heart, crown, angel.

Many thanks, Jill, for your excellent suggestion!

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, the beads certainly transform it into something sumptuous and glorious! Worth spending the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that, Jane 😍😃 Forgot to mention it is done with one shuttle and ball thread. Will update.

      Delete