Thursday 18 May 2023

lets design round 3

Pin It now!

 Been quite a while since we played Design Along (DAL). I needed a model to show Celtic tatting with regular shuttles and after searching online I decided to create my own pattern. The first two rounds are tatted and I am trying out the 3rd round joining the 2 interlaced motifs. However, it will be fun to see what design you come up with for the 3rd round! You can design a 4th round, too, if you wish! Come join the fun.

DAL Celtic Snowflake -

Working with Red Rose size 20 threads (equivalent to Lizbeth size 10).

Pattern for Motifs 1 and 2 ---- [schematic of one repeat in the image itself.]

motif 1 pattern and notes - 

  • Ball and shuttle motif, start with ring. 
  • Each ring is joined to previous ring and the last ring is joined back to the first. 
  • All joining picots are very small.
  • Cut and tie and hide ends.
motif 2 pattern and notes - 
  • Ball and shuttle motif, start with left ring. 
  • All picots are very small.
  • This motif tends to twist because of the long chains. Hence, be very careful when you make the final tie to the base of the 1st ring. Make sure all chains are laid our correctly. 
  • Cut and tie and hide ends
  • Block the motif for ease of interlacing.
interlacing motifs 1 & 2 - 
  • Interlace motifs 1 and 2 as seen in the image.
  • Now go ahead and design a Round 3 (and 4?) to link both motifs.
  • TIP: It is a good idea to pin the flake on a polar grid to hold the motifs in place while you sketch out your idea. Or scan your tatted piece and use it as the base for future ideas.
  • Please leave a comment in this post or contact me through Facebook, Instagram, or email with your finished design and model! [all links in right panel top].
Let's have some quick fun!


16 comments:

  1. Can't wait to tat this motif as is and wait for others to make the 3rd round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My aren't you a lazy designer, Sam 😁💙 Once final, I will share my own 3rd round pattern, too.

      Delete
    2. I am a Costume Designer, get over whelmed with trying to design tatting.

      Delete
    3. I used to feel the same way, especially trying to design a flat piece, Sam, and I used to end up making 3D patterns 😁 It is only gradually that I overcame my 'fear' or handicap. I have still a loooong ways to go. 🌻🌻🌻

      Delete
  2. I can imagine all sorts of 'lovelies' coming from all over the world, based on your first 2 rounds. Can hardly wait to see your next round. Yes, I'm being lazy today. :-)
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps tomorrow will see you more active, Stephanie 😁 Already one lacy has sent in a lovely diagram (no counts yet) for the next 2 rounds. It will look gorgeous when tatted. Mine will be quite insipid 😁🩷

      Delete
  3. Dankeschön für die tolle Idee⚛🍀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give it a try, Anonymous 💜

      Delete
  4. Very fun project! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you tat and send in your 3rd round, too, Anonymous 🩵

      Delete
  5. Ladyphoenix, tatter22 May 2023 at 04:32

    Nice game! I left my third round in your post at Shuttlebirds, Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ladyphoenix! Will check it out right away 🧡

      Delete