Friday 12 April 2019

one from every garden

Pin It now!


Last week Amritha asked me to help her out with Jeanne Lugert’s 3D rose. I don't know which, if any of my tips helped her. But it was just the incentive I needed to Finally make one. Yes, it is my first time with this pattern and worked in Pearl cottons size 8.

And then I got carried away, hunting and collecting more 3D rose patterns, some being shared last month for I LoveTatting. (see what was made during that month here).
I am stumped by the range of styles and methods being used to create a 3D lace rose and just had to try each.

UPDATE : Carollyn asked about the leaves. I've given instructions in the comments, but here's a back view of the leaves using Daniela's Mimosa Knots at intervals. 

I intend to add leaves to complete each rose hence the tails are left uncut. For a better comparison, I stuck with pearl cotton. Mind you there are still quite a few patterns I still want to try, before wrapping up. Not to mention those with special techniques such as Cluny, inverted, treble tatting, etc.

A quick note on those done so far – from center, clockwise –

1. Jeanne Lugert uses a split ring braid and looks good both in single or 2 colours. I added leaves using Mimosa Knots. 

2. An idea from pinterest where 3 separate rosette medallions are made and then overlaid & sewn. Instead of snipping after each layer, I continued with the single shuttle.

3. Agnieszka uses only rings made with one shuttle and shares a small and a large version. I really like how these turned out, especially the larger one.

4. Rolled rose from kukkatatting uses rings and chains. I found it a bit difficult to string it into shape but it ends up larger than previous roses. 

5. The Jessica Rose by Sharren Sarver Morgan uses dimpled rings instead of plain rings. It gives a nice blossomed look.  

6. 2 red roses in Anchor size 20 are my own prototypes.

The above is taken from a different angle. I find it is more fun to work with single shuttle, tweaking the ring sizes as you go, but the split ring one is easier to pull into shape.  

Much as I liked the shapes of each of these, what I kept missing was a coiled center as in a real rose or rosebud. Took the plunge to try my own 3D rose. 
Single shuttle. I’ve curled the first ring vertically (I've used this to perch the butterfly on one of the Buddy Hearts), then curled the 2nd ring around this 1st one using a slightly larger picot and 2ds more. Then the rest of the petals are made. 
These are still nascent and the smaller one is still attached to shuttle. I’m still trying to perfect it. But what do you think of them so far? 

UPDATE : A new bud, using 3 vertical rings curled around each other and a 4th ring to complete the bud. Size 10 knitting cotton....



29 comments:

  1. Great information. I look forward to more om the single shuttle construction of your roses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I can hardly wait for you to produce a pattern and step-by-step pictures of your rose.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful 3D roses!! I love your testings and your design!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks a splendid rose. I’ve made Jeanne’s rose. Looks like a good collection there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love your tightly curled center! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! And, so many roads to roses! I especially like your curly-centered rose! That's the "real" touch. AnitaB

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've made my day, ladies :-))) So perhaps we can name it 3D Curled Rose?
    Last night I managed to make a bud using 3 curled rings.
    Stephanie, I'll try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them and I would like to make that pretty leaf too🍃 do you have that pattern too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carollyn, the leaf is single shuttle large ring with mimosa knots. The knots start only where they will be visible, every 3ds. At tapering end, 2ds between the knots. And back down, close ring. Then for midrib vein - needle the tail thru to the tip, make a knot to accentuate the pointy tip, and whip stitch to hide.
      Hope this helps? You are so good at free-styling anyways. 🌹🌹🌹

      Delete
    2. I just took a screen shot of your comment. I think I can do this to. Thank you🌹

      Delete
    3. Carollyn, I'll try to take a pic of the back tonight, with a full view of leaves and email it to you. Check your mail tomorrow. Or I'll upload one here as well.

      Delete
    4. 2 new pics uploaded - one of the complete leaves, and another of a new bud I made. I've also emailed them to you, Carollyn. 🌹

      Delete
  9. Beautiful roses, wonderful idea curling rings vertically! I love how you used the mimosa knots in the leaf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nin, my husband agrees it looks like a rose only because of the gun to his head 😲🔫
      I like how the leaf turned out as well 🌹

      Delete
    2. Ninetta, this time he agreed the cream bud did look like the real thing even without a gun to his head 😄😄😄😄

      Delete
  10. Muskaan, you always make such pretty things. And, every time I see your blog you teach me something. Mimosa Knots? What on Earth? A little googling found Daniela Mendola's video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYcE9-DDnCQ&feature=youtu.be ).
    Wow! I love it.
    And, Thank You!

    LindaR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda :-D When in doubt, simply check the list of tags under each post and click ;-P Was in a rush to get this post off, hence the shortcut ;-P
      I am so glad you found and love the mimosa knot - it definitely is a cute effect. My notes are here: https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2019/04/happy-tatting-with-old-and-new.html
      Daniela also shared a beautiful filigree filling, in case you missed it. I did a variation, but all links are here - https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2019/03/dyj-instead-of-lj.html

      Delete
  11. Tan you really enjoyed reading this piece, when my hand gets better I will be trying some of these patterns thanks for the links

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the roses, Margaret 🌹🌹🌹 Hope your hand heals soon.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful roses and very interesting bud.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pięknie wyszły Twoje różyczki Muskaan 😊 Cieszę się, że również moje różyczki przypadły Ci do gustu i wspominałaś o moim sposobie 😊 Pozdrawiam serdecznie! 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agnieszka, I am so glad you like them! Your method is definitely very appealing and quick. Something to use up scrap threads in a jiffy :-)
      Thanks you so much for sharing the process :-)))

      Delete
  14. Please send a video I want to learn to make it looks very nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mamta, I do not make videos 😁 But click on the blue text and each will take you to the respective tutorial or pattern and in some cases a video. Karen Cabrera has a video for the Lugert rose. You can find her list of videos in my Tatting Resources page here - https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/p/tatting-resources.html
      Happy tatting 🌺🌹🍃

      Delete
  15. Preciosa! siento no entender inglés.Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your interest and comment, Anonymous 🌺🌺🌺 Click on the blue text. It will take you to the tutorial, how to make each style of rose.

      Delete