Monday 29 April 2019

Jeanie's tips

Pin It now!

When I shared my tips on how to keep tatted motifs uniform, I received a lovely email from tatter & teacher Jeanie enumerating her own list. Now she’s been working on an altar cloth that already has over 400 motifs tatted over a span of years. She’s guessing somewhere between 600-800 hours spent on it, with another 200 hours’ work still left. She’s had 2 mishaps with dye-lots and one with staining due to some finger nail polish. This experience is reflected in the tips.
So, let the master speak! A few of the points have already been covered in my list, but I’d like you to read it in her own words …..

How To Tat Uniform Motifs and Medallions (contd.)
especially for long-term projects
Jeanie Schekel

"In my experience, most patterns require the motifs to be joined as the last round is tatted so the blocking is done after the motif is added. I usually only block nightly. I have seen a few patterns where two sizes of motifs are used and one size is joined by a smaller motif. This type of pattern would allow one to block some of the motifs before joining. Because my project was so large, I used a grid as a guide and marked on the grid the progression and completed motifs.
(She sent me this pic in Dec, 2018)
1.      I would suggest that one make several motifs and compare them before you begin the project.
2.      Measure the thread for one motif and calculate the amount of thread needed and make sure you allow for a mistake or two, so you will have enough of one dye-lot. 
3.      Write down every detail from starting with continuous thread, and any adjustments you make in the pattern, just in case of an emergency that can interrupt your tatting time. Time can affect your memory.
4.      Note where to add magic loops.
5.      Tat most of the last round calculating where to begin joining, and repeat the exact process as often as possible - saves time, calculations and mistakes. 
6.      Don't let a lot of time lapse between motifs. A month is too long for me.
7.      Don't tat other projects with another size thread while tatting this project; it can affect your tension.
8.      When tatting with white thread, you can avoid any discoloration from body oil.  Tape part of waterproof bandages, or liquid bandage painted on the area where the pinching finger and thumb touch the thread, as well as the palm side of the finger where the thread wraps. The sweaty side is the inside of the fingers that touch the thread."

♡♡♡

As you may have deduced from both lists, consistency is the key. Consistency even in the most minute of details, especially if it is a long-term project. 
As always, your input and feedback is valued, so do say something :-)

Many many thanks, Jeanie

10 comments:

  1. I'd love to know what pattern Jeanie is tatting. Beautiful work! Wonderful to see the 'woven' effect when the hexagons are put together. Such persistence..... terrific!
    Mama Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Mama Martin!!! Pattern is Mary Konior's Windmills. 🌹🌹

      Delete
  2. Grids are so handy and why not we commonly use them in tatted snow flakes. I love you brain took it to larger projects 💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Carollyn 🌹🌹 The project is by Jeanie Schekel, though. I've never made something like this in tatting yet 😃

      Delete
  3. Awesome project by Jeanie👍🏻 Thank You for the valuable tips Muskaan!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly a labour of love by Jeanie, Usha !! 🌹🌹

      Delete
  4. Maybe that's why I don't seem to struggle with tension so much. I'm used to sitting down at different organs whenever I'm not at home. Even my home organ is very different from my piano or any other instrument I regularly play. I try to keep in mind my end goal for sound, that drives my touch and so I'm always adjusting! hmmmm. Revelation!! Thank you Jeanie and Muskaan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That truly is quite an AHA moment, Mel!!! Another deep interconnection between your 2 great pleasures/passions :-D

      Delete