Wednesday 3 April 2019

my Italian connection

Pin It now!
Italian Connection bookmark    (a sneak peek)
You’ll soon see the reason for this name which led to the choice of books as well.

This motif is the First pattern designed by an Italian tatter, Patty Castagno and shared in the facebook group - Chiacchierino: Filo, Amore e Fantasia. It is a very creative and talented group but mostly in Italian. Which is why facebook's instant translation is a boon, though literal and sometimes confusing.

The promise of a square spiral attracted me immediately, but my first attempt (purple size 8 pearl) was surprisingly tough & confusing. 
Since I couldn’t understand why it was difficult, I had another go at it, this time in blue (size 20 Anchor). Worked up smooth as silk!!! Huh. Where was my head ???
Three’s Company! Hence a 3rd motif tatted in green (size 40 Anchor) for tapering bookmark.

There is a ¼” difference between each motif.

Now how should I connect these motifs – each a different size, with no peripheral picots? Here’s where more Italian connection came in. Ninetta’s curled rings!
These curled ring connectors are rings folded exactly in half and lock joined through the middle picot in each, encasing a motif (chain) within.
Even the tassel is encased within these connectors.

I’ve used curled rings for toggles, etc. but I think this Curled Ring Connector has great potential and use in jewellery or to link individual motifs of different shapes, sizes, and designs! They can also be used in place of adjustable toggles since whatever is within can slide. Or how about attaching motif to a bangle for sun/dream catchers?!

This post was intended for April 1st – ITD, which is why I included Teri Dusenbury’s dandelion chain link bookmark which I believe is a construction and engineering marvel in tatting. And among my most viewed projects.

Leonardo da Vinci: Artist, Thinker and Man of Science by Eugène Mũntz. A coffee table box set of 2 large hardcover volumes with lots of his diagrams, studies, ideas, sketches, etc. as well as finished works. Detailed, in-depth exploration. I have barely scratched the surface of these, but quite a treasure.


So would you like the pattern? I have Patty Castagno's gracious permission and here’s what she said (translated from Italian) when I sent her a close-up pic:  

Beautiful, beautiful, fabulous, you did an exceptional job, do whatever you want with my scheme, you made it a very good thank you
Now it is I who must ask you if I can take inspiration from your masterpiece

I need to ink the stitch count, and work on a presentation, but soon...

My previous Italian connection ...

14 comments:

  1. Very beautiful bookmark!!! :) I love her design!!! :)
    And your dandelion bookmark is beautiful too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue :-) I couldn't part with the dandelion bookmark recently - it holds a special place in my heart...Teri loved it!

      Delete
  2. Yes, yes, please! I would love the pattern for the Italian Square!

    I'm glad you found Teri's work. She really had a talent for designing. I love her little teddy bear.

    Linda R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, the pattern should be up shortly - I'll be diagramming it.
      So many of Teri's patterns are on my list, but I keep getting side-tracked ;-D

      Delete
  3. An added advantage to using the curled rings for joining is that you can use them after the fact, instead of having to plan beforehand. It’s an excellent idea. I had to look twice to see the square spiral, I see it, genius. Good for you for cracking it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, Jane :-D And if one doesn't like the combo, it is easy to snip off the link and do over - a handy tool for designers (I thought of this use later). Forgot to add a close-up pic, though.
      Patty's tatting was much better - her split rings looked like normal rings, which had me stumped initially!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful square and beautiful bookmark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. grazie, la mia migliore connessione italiana :-D

      Delete
  5. Yes, PLEASE! The square pattern is so very intriguing, and I'd love to be able to make it myself. 😃
    The tapering sizes gives a very elegant effect. And all 3 motifs look so well proportioned. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diagram ready, now to get the rest of stuff in line, Emily :-) I was just as surprised to find them so proportionate! Thinking of repeating this motif with other threads for size comparison.

      Delete
  6. Yes to the Pattern! LOVE the colors of the three sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Śliczne zakładki obie :)
    Pozdrawiam ciepło.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern should be ready and uploaded within this week, splocik. I invite you back :-))

      Delete