Saturday 20 April 2019

Daniela's effects

Pin It now!
playing some more with Daniela Mendola’s effects - filigree stitch and mimosa knot...

I couldn’t snip off the Dora Young Knot/Join filigree center from the large motif; but found a medallion I had used in one of my pictorials and finally tried Daniela’s original filigree stitch
This time I had no difficulty doing it with lock joins! But I deliberately ended off without completely filling the space – thought it looked good. Also didn't want to risk messing it up ;-P
This is the best close-up I could manage; all others are hazier than this.
Medallion was worked in Anchor 20 while filling in Red Rose Pearl cotton 8.
The filigree stitch with lock joins and my variation using Dora Young Join/Knot together.

While rummaging in my sequin stock for the butterfly in my previous post, I found this star and was drawn to work petals around it. Mimosa knot was ideal for the pointy tips. I winged the stitch count. Chains of [3 - 6 Mk 6 – 3] linked to previous petal and lock joined to sequin.
Anchor size 40 thread scraps were used.

In the lead composite pic, I included Jeanne Lugert's 3D rose because of the mimosa knot leaves I shared here. 

And besides Daniela's own video for mimosa knots, I shared my stepwise instructions here, and Karen Cabrera has promised us a video on this for next month (see comments)! So keep your shuttles ready!

12 comments:

  1. I must, MUST, get busy to tat the projects I've got stacked up. I want to try these out sooooo much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do really need longer days and more hands, Mel :-D

      Delete
  2. So I have been working on the mimosa knot and looking around a different things and if your making a chain then a one ds stitch ring may serve the same purpose. also I found that it seems to look the same on the ring if I just make several twists on a regular double stitch. I like your explanation on directions on how to make the stitch, I think it works for me. But I do think its is always nice to look at others directions too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've just revealed my ongoing project, Carollyn ;-P
      Yes dot picots, padded ds, 1ds mock ring, etc. are all on my list -- I want to tat around sequins using these different methods to compare under 'controlled' conditions. Looking forward to your pics :-))

      Delete
  3. Your motifs are lovely! Beautiful effects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful motifs, I have been reading your blog even though Blogger would not let me comment on the ipad, Thanks for the interesting posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Margaret! We now have multiple platforms of interaction and have stayed connected :-))

      Delete
  5. Good to see these techniques in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have so many talented and innovative tatter-designers, that it is both exciting and difficult to keep up 😀😄

      Delete
  6. They are wonderful!! I love the springy colorful display!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finally happy with my thread stash, Sue - plenty of colours to choose from 😁

      Delete