Wednesday 23 March 2022

linked hands trial

Pin It now!

 I had finished this prototype bookmark soon after this post (https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2022/03/one-month-several-years.html) but look how long it has taken me to upload the final pics! Too much going on ....

In Anchor size 40, it is 12 cms long and 4 cms wide, all tatted in one pass.

Since the linked hands are not joined, look how they can stand up like an elongated teepee! One could also imagine hands joined in prayer?

Simple bookmark without a tail. 2 side chains (on the bottom right) are shorter (count the 5 picots instead of later 6). This was the start and I didn't like the soft stretch of the chain. Hence from the 3rd repeat onward, I added another 3ds for a better curve. 
I had made the edging for the pattern pdf here - https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2021/11/from-one-to-many.html
Playing with a filter. This is how it looks horizontally, in case someone is thinking of an insertion. I haven't blocked it to shape. This is merely my trial piece after all. I like the simple chain trim around. A balance between dense motifs and airy edge.

What's a bookmark without a tail?! Several ideas had been spinning through my head as I worked the body. However, when it came time, here's how I went about it - made a Happy Hands motif, linking it through the top chain.
Then followed these shell-shaped blocks. The first one wasn't a nice shape, but eventually they took on a better shape. The final 'charm' is simply a larger version of the smaller shells, with a final row of picots for a wavy effect. I was playing a tight game of thread chicken at this stage.

UPDATE (July 2023) - Pattern for the tail 
pic showing tail detail and charm
Start with a ring (4 vsp 5), then a graduated block of 3 chains (6, 7, and 8) (the last chain has a decorative picot), and repeat. Please note that I used Endrucks' method of climbing to next row of block chain, viz., 1ds vsp, followed by chain stitches.
The charm at the end follows the same principle but with more number of chains (5 or 6) of which the final chain has adjoining decorative picots for a dense frill.


I would've like to continue for a longer tail, but was running out of thread on one shuttle. And sometimes one just isn't in the mood to find the ball, wind the bobbin and ....

What do you think? Should I add this tail in my final bookmark or should I add a  long tassel? 
I have a colour scheme in mind and am hoping it will work.

Hoping to post a few more blogs in quick succession ....


10 comments:

  1. Makes a splendid bookmark. The tail makes me think of a scorpion’s tail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch, sooo not the intention! This bookmark was meant as a symbolism for the collective work we all did towards the Project, and now there's a sting in the tail/tale. 😁 Perhaps I should stick to a tassel for my final version.
      Thanks, Jane 💖

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful bookmark! I'm a big fan of tassels, so my vote is for adding a tassel. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, tassel it is, Diane, especially coz now I can't get the scorpion's tail out of my head 😁😆😜

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Maria ❤ Hopefully the next one in multiple colours will highlight the overlap and linkage 😃

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your tail, it's very nice and I would make a bracelet from it (I love linear bracelets 💖). The tassel will be wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, a bracelet from that tail would look good,💞 and a quick tat! Get your Sanbest and beads ready, Nin 💗

      Delete
  5. You are right, the hands teepee look like they are praying. That is an interesting pattern! I like the tail too, it is quite unusual. Maybe make the picots longer at the final segment so you have something more like a tassel and not that much like a scorpion tail...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's another interesting idea, Lavi! 💗 If I wasn't running out of thread, I was going to make another Happy Hands motif as charm.😁
      Love how ideas are being generated 💞

      Delete