Sunday 27 March 2022

a confused flower

Pin It now!

Story narrated by the flower herself! 

"I started life wanting to be a Snowdrop or a Crocus - in pristine white. 

But metamorphosed into a Lotus! For now at least...(sighing deeply)
This is how I looked at the start as a white 3-petaled snowdrop-wannabe. But this lady who thought she knew better, added rings to join the petals. Now which snowdrop has rings or joined petals?! (snickering)
As you can see, my petals took wing and spread out further than the required conical shape. And don't even get me started on the flattish tips. (scowling)
It is good that she recognised her faux pas and decided to manage the mistake. Happy Hands need to be Happy!
This is the next stage of my development. See I've grown new wings, errrr, petals!!! And though late, there is now a bit of a point to the tips. 
And I became a Lotus. Or am I a Water Lily? I can live with either for now, but not for long. My final  transformation has already begun - it's March and I am in time to be a Daffodil! Meet me here in a few days in my new avatar ..."   
𐩕𑁍𐩕𑁍𐩕

So you must've recognised the motif from Endrucks' #1 edging - the one I christened Happy Hands. This flower might not be too happy at present but I had decided at the 2nd stage itself to convert it into a daffodil, hence the slightly different set of petals. It looks like a lotus only because I lifted my first set of hands. If I allow them to rest back, they are a bit flatter - like in a daffodil. .

Happy Hands Flower Variations Pattern (prototype model)
adaptation of Endrucks' pattern #1

Some on FB asked for the pattern so while I work to finish the Happy Hands Daffodil, you can choose to start tatting the petals. The petals are worked exactly like the main edging pattern with minor tweaks. Hence, download the pattern here and follow the diagram and instructions incorporating the tweaks as follows -  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IRlJ7bnx-c27PYtgXymx_ps-KL2pen_m/view  [for stepwise pictorial, refer - https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2021/03/balancing-act.html ]

  1. Round 1 petals are exactly like the main pattern. Except that there is no chain L between the motifs/petals. I deliberately left the tails hanging below (for a thick stalk later).
  2. Snowdrop/Crocus variation : For a more conical shape, skip the thrown rings E and J. Make 4 unlinked petals. Also, make the petals tapering/pointy - see r-C and also Note below.
  3. While making the 3rd petal of the flower, make sure the threads are on the outer side so that we can continue the next 3 petals without cutting.
  4. Lotus or Water Lily : For Round 2, follow the same sequence and basic pattern. Except
  •  ch-B: 4 LJ 4 LJ 5 - 5 rw
  •    r-C: 8 vsp 2 - 6 dnrw SS
  • ch-D: 5 LJ 5 LJ (Tr-E) .....   Make similar changes to ch-G, join r-H to r-C, and ch-I.
  • ch-L: 1ds or 1 reverse (unflipped) stitch. Join to base of Round 1.
Make 3 such petals, leaving the thread tails at the back of work. Slightly twist these petals so that they lie between the previous ones. Lotus or Water Lily is done. You can work the leaf, stalk, etc. as desired.
Note: For a more pointed petal tip, we can make a long double picot in ring-C and later stiffen it into points, or make a twisted picot while joining. Twisted picot will hold it's shape, but ensure the double picot is long enough to accommodate the twist.

Daffodil : I will continue with the corona, anthers, calyx, and stalk patterns for the daffodil pattern as soon as I finish tatting the leaf. Eager to show you and hoping you like it, too.

The flower is worked in Anchor Pearl Cotton size 8 and measures about 5cms across.

In case of doubt, please don't hesitate to ask ..... Enjoy 💗

12 comments:

  1. It’s lovely, in all its guises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane 🦋🌼🦋 I think it's going to look lovelier with it's corona, so watch out 😁

      Delete
  2. Very cute!! Thank you for sharing😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a pleasant surprise, Erika 🦋🌼🦋 Welcome to my blog, and thanks 💞

      Delete
  3. So pretty in white and would be great in a bridal bouquet!! ;) :)
    Can't wait to see the amazing(I know it will be) daffodil!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finished last night and hubby is quite impressed. If only I can get good pics now. Thanks, Sue ❤💜❤

      Delete
  4. Lovely! I can picture it in many colors, but the white is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to see it blooming in different colours and forms 😍 Thanks Diane 💗💜💗

      Delete
  5. This is captivating!! Happy Hands indeed!
    PS. I learned a different definition of avatar with your post. How have I missed that it describes a learned teacher? Maybe because I live too close to Silicon Valley? Thank you for broadening my horizons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, the movie spoiled the meaning of this millennia old word, just like the meaning of swastika was distorted. We pronounce avatar differfrom the movie.
      It's nice to have a such a cultural exchange, though 💗💜💗

      Delete