Monday 1 October 2018

scrappy doily and scmr

Pin It now!
For the last few days I hadn’t picked up a shuttle. Housework was partly to blame, leaving me too tired to continue with my Blossoms motifs (I was on a whirlwind spree and the count is now up to 20 - halfway mark reached!!!). So, I took up sewing the edging on the saree – somebody (meaning me) has to do it!

Last evening, I didn’t even have the concentration to sew. But Madhur Dadlani's Unending Doily had been at the back of my mind as a wonderful way to empty shuttles and use up all the scraps! Picked up a shuttle and started.
My rings are ( 4-3-3-4 ). I started with 3 normal rings (white), then switched to SCMR.
Why? With scmr, I can use up almost every last bit of scrap thread, since they will only form the stitches. Can you see where I have a part purple part blue ring? Easily possible with scmr.

And I can have a continuous core thread throughout, not having to refill the shuttle every time.
To secure the scmr, I made an unflipped half stitch at the base.

I had first thought of making it rectangular, but I think with random colours, it is best to go circular. Although, here I am aiming for an oval and will decide on how to fill the center later. Hope the shape will hold.
It’s still scappy, fresh off my shuttle, with no blocking.

So far these are Anchor size 20 scraps, and the 2 rounds measure 2”x1½”.
Do you see this turning into an Ice Drop?! A future project :-D


SCMR - self closing mock ring -
And on the topic of SCMRs, a Japanese tatter (kukka tatting) has been applying the scmr to small medallions and so far she has reached a count of 91 lovely medallions/motifs using scmr!!! I've been following her journey from the start, but it's a pity that I can't leave any comment on her blog. Do check it out. 91 scmr motifs !

Split SCMR
And Tim Kaylor has worked out a way to split the scmr in regular tatting (ie. when working with only 2 threads!). Randy Houtz’ split/scmr uses 3 threads. Tim has put up a video too. Now to try it out…
(added later in the day...
After some thought, this is the realisation I’ve come to –
Tim pulls open the scmr, exposing the core thread, then uses a split chain to cover and bridge the core thread.
Which is similar to what Dora Young did in her KM Ring (Knotless Method Ring). And Rachael Mohler did a slight modification by not closing the ring completely, then covering the open core thread with the knotless method (i.e., a split chain in modern terms).  
So it is basically the modified Dora Young’s Knotless Method Ring (a mock ring worked in 2 parts by anchoring with a lock join & doable with a single shuttle) on a SCMR! 
Clever, nevertheless, and opens up vast possibilities.

12 comments:

  1. I like the way the doily is evolving, scmr instead of rings. Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I've added another para on the split scmr, along with links. Tim has cleverly used Dora Young's split ring method on the scmr!

      Delete
  2. Oh, that dreaded housework! It's terrible the way it cuts into tatting time. I made the mistake of starting yet another reorganization project yesterday. After four hours, I was completely exhausted, and now my house looks like a craft shop exploded! I do have one very neat corner in the sunroom, though! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, as long as that corner in the sunroom is where you do your tatting and other craft work, you will be a happy happy person, right :-D Yes, housework sometimes leaves one exhausted both physically & mentally and a 'mindless' project like this unending doily is a welcome relief

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Whimsy & fun really, without the sword of precision and perfection, Sue 😉

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Muskaan. By the way, I figured this way just for you. And Kathleen. And Coretta. Almost done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So we get vicarious credit, Tim? ;-D
      I noticed the DRR doily and am super excited to see the entire round!

      Delete
  5. I hope to look into this more and find this video from Tim keep us posted😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carollyn, click on the blue words starting with 'Tim...' - it will take you to his post and video :-)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the links, your blog is full of treasure - and you are too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you tell which is my face and which is the tomato? You make me blush, Nin :-D

      Delete