Monday 22 October 2018

Shuttlebirds challenge accepted

Pin It now!
Shuttlebirds has started their Wednesdays Weekly Challenge after a hiatus of 4 years. I didn’t have a clue at the time, but when it showed up in my blog roll, I couldn’t stay away. Nicola’s patterns are always a treat – to see, to follow, to tat. And even though I’m no fan of tatting animals (except birds, butterflies, & bunnies) tatting long shapely chains are always a challenge.

Cheeky Monkey by Nicola Bowersox

Techniques I used:
2 shuttles, ctm (for 1st part)
scmr with thrown/floating rings
directional or fs/bs tatting
dimpled chain
lock join
lock join with 2nd shuttle
switch shuttles
In Anchor size 20, the monkey stands 3" tall x 2.5" wide

As always, the images, notations, and instructions are very clear.
However, for shuttle tatters, one needs to choose which shuttle to work with, when to switch shuttles and with which shuttle to make the lock join.
I sewed in 2 black beads for eyes later, though they can be pre-strung.

My ‘mistakes’
For the right armpit, I didn’t make the lock join with other shuttle. The ‘twist’ is glaring!
I was so focused on the stitchcount for the long tail that I forgot to snug the stitches more compactly.

Long chains are not easy to control or hold shape, but I’m fairly happy with how these turned out. It is a very cleverly designed and executed pattern and wish my monkey was more perfect.

ÿ|ÿ|ÿ|ÿ

I went through the list of previous challenges and chose the very first one. This butterfly has been flying around pinterest for ages and I first made it in 2013, before I started blogging. Not satisfied, it’s been in one of my to-retat boxes (don’t remember which one – I need to ‘organise’ a massive hunt!).

Butterfly by an unknown designer
UPDATE: Pattern is by Anna G.Vecherskaya in Frivolité  1991, p19.

The link on the site doesn’t work, but a quick search through pinterest will throw up the pattern. This is the one I followed (from a Russian book). It is a beautiful butterfly within butterfly design, tatted in one pass!

Techniques I used:
2 shuttles
scmr
directional or fs/bs tatting
lock join
slt  
very small & decorative picots
lock chain
In Anchor & Lizbeth size 40, the butterfly is 2” high with a wing span of 1½”. 

Knotted the 2 threads together and worked a lock chain for first antenna, then worked the 4 inner rings as mock rings separated by an unflipped 2nd half stitch to secure.
I had earlier started with normal rings but horrors, the thread broke while closing the last ring.
In the 2nd round SLT is used to keep the chain and rings of same colour.
Ended with the 2nd antenna, knotting and snipping off ends.
No sewing !!!
I tweaked the stitchcount on the lower wings (outer round) to get this shape.
Trying to play with colour combinations, though I’m not too happy with the pink shade.

This old butterfly from 2013 is worked in South Maid size 10. 
Normal rings instead of mock rings. And it is missing an antenna. Will tackle it when I find it, and update with the dimensions. 
ÿ|ÿ|ÿ|ÿ

Catch you later, folks :-D

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I didn't really push myself, though, Jane 😆 A laid back kind of project.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. About the butterfly, I sent you a pin.

      Delete
    2. Ah, I rarely go to pinterest now. But I see the pin you sent. The one I followed this time (had saved a screenshot to work from) is also from a Russian book - https://pin.it/yb3lqrym6yl5le
      Thanks, Nin :-)

      Delete
  3. Awesome monkey and butterfly!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The designs are so appealing, Sue! Thanks :-)

      Delete