Monday 26 August 2024

starburst fringe

Pin It now!

In my last post I had shared several adaptations of Corina Meyfeldt's Tatted Fringe. Lots of ideas swirled in my head to try out a quick practice pattern, applying all three adaptations viz., tatted fringe, spot/luggage tag fringe, and tatted fringe picot. While I am not fully satisfied with the outcome (it looks especially messy in photographs), there is a lot of scope to play and try something better and different.

This is the Fringe Star - a kind of practice pattern with a lot of possibilities. 
I got so involved that I forgot to take some process pics.

I started by tying the white (Anchor size 40) shuttle thread with metallic Madeira (Astro 2, No.40) and tatting a chain with measured adjoining picots. This took longer than I bargained for coz the metallic thread is really really fine. However the colourway is beautiful with a range of shades.

Now since the thread was so thin, I feared the picot might turn out to be too small. Hence, after snipping off the tips and dividing them into 5 clusters (eyeballed, not counted!) I divided each further and added a luggage tag in the center of each using Sanbest #34. 
And I wanted a small cluster in the joining picot as well. So, I direct tatted 3 adjoining long picots at the start and between the 5 clusters. 
Future Idea 1 - My original idea was to make layered rings with graduated fringe picots. But somewhere along the way, I decided to simply add the fringe between rings for now.
  
With all the prep work finished, I pushed the clusters further into the shuttle and started tatting. The star body is a simple rosette of 5 rings (6 - 8 - 8 - 6)x5 joining to adjoining ring(s).

However, before starting the ring, bring forth the fringes (Fr) into the loop for the ring.
    For first ring tat 6ds, Fr, 8ds, FrPicot, 8ds, Fr, 6ds. 
    For next 4 rings, tat 6ds +(join to ring: push the Fr towards the top of the picot and join below it), 8ds, FrPicot, 8ds, Fr, 6ds.
    Join last ring to first.

Insert sequin and bead and sew down with the tail and hide the tail end or use it to suspend the star. Trim the fringes.
I wanted a starburst kind of shining aura, hence the long fringe. It is very sparkly when seen in person.
I repeat, it looks especially messy in pics, but there is always room for improvement. 
Future Idea 2 - Use a circle of tatted fringe for the base of a rakhi!!! Or how about fireworks?!

OBSERVATIONS - I'd like to point out that each adaptation has its advantages and this little pattern will help you realize this. 
  • For a fringe picot it is advisable to tat the chain as in Corina's original. 
  • But for spot treatment or to sprinkle a different colour randomly, luggage tags are preferable. 
  • Now if you need fringes on both rings and chains in FS/BS tatting, then you will have to decide and plan beforehand. Decide the number of fringes needed. Then tat the chain in segments of DS and RODS (reverse order DS). 

Future Idea 3 - Tat a motif with spot fringes in rainbow colours! 

8 comments:

  1. It does look like fireworks! It seems a palaver, but has potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane 😍 Had to look up 'palaver' to refresh my memory 😁

      Delete
  2. Bardzo ciekawy pomysł :)
    Wygląda, jak gwiazdka świecąca na niebie. :)
    Pozdrawiam ciepło.

    ReplyDelete