Tuesday 20 August 2024

veg patch game

Pin It now!

Game of the month in the Endrucks 1920 Project FB group this month is to tat either of two pumpkin patterns derived from pattern #25 - one is flat (Julie Myers) the other 3D (Daniella Galli). Obviously I would've liked to tat both, but went for the quicker option. 

Julie Myers' adaptation of E25 Extract Me Pumpkin pattern PDF for #VegPatchEndrucks Aug2024https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WKxGqijegF911nOvbmNjUuPVOQkHNZyF/view . Incidentally she derived this during our Sep 2022 game - ExtractMeEndrucks (as did Daniella!). Hmmm, one month shy of exactly two years!

My version reflects the type of pumpkin I enjoy eating during summer months - the green pumpkin (see next image). It is not fully ripe, has a mottled green skin and pale yellow pulp with a few scattered seeds. I visualized her pattern as a cross section of the whole pumpkin - the rings as white seeds, the pale yellow pulp, and a green skin. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/qpWbJWvj4BTVDEU5A
This is the only good image I could find which is identical to what I buy. Most images have an orangish pulp and green or brownish skin. Perhaps next season I'll remember to take a pic when I buy it.

I make the sabzi (kaddu/sitaphal) in summers till raw mango is available. Cut into pieces (one can keep the skin on or peel it), also dice some raw mango into small cubes, mix in spices, temper with whole fenugreek seeds and asafoetida, cover with plate and microwave for 3 minutes, stir and zap for another minute or so as required! It is such a quick-cooking dish and tastes wonderful with roti, puri, paratha, rice. 
I have a traumatic experience with the kaddu raita, though! Mummy once made it and it was horrible. But she insisted we finish it and I shudder ever since, despite enjoying various kinds of raw or cooked/grated veggies in beaten curd, LOL.

Wanted to use beads for seeds, and had even selected the pearls. Then decided to tat in 3 colours. 

NOTES - 

  • In Gopi size 40 threads, the main body is 4.5cms high and 4.2 cms wide. 
  • I used a single shuttle wound with the white thread. Yellow and green remained on their respective ball. 
  • Started with false ctm - pulled out a short length of yellow, and finger-tatted the first chain, leaving a starter picot. Then continued with white shuttle, hiding & snipping off the extra yellow length.
  • Tatted continuously, all clockwise. I didn't feel the need to turn work after every round. Especially since I was using the one shuttle and the colours positioned themselves as needed. Just left a very small picot at the start of each round to join back to.

  • Treble tatting on the outermost round. While not strictly realistic since the actual peel is thin, but tds is fun and gives a nice finish and texture I hope. Would look good for a floral effect!
  • I didn't count the tds, eye-balling the length of each segment by placing it along the corresponding chain segment below it. 
  • TIP: After the required tds, I worked in 2ds, lock join, 1ds, p, 1ds. Now join simultaneously through both the hidden picot of last tds and the picot of new segment, and continue this as the 1st tds of new segment. Repeat at each join. This gives a nice, clean dip (You can see the difference on the join between 2nd and 3rd chains on the right side. The dip is not pronounced because I experimented without the picot, joining directly). Another advantage is that there is no 'gap' at the base of the join. I think it came off nicely.

  • The stem encapsulates all the tails and since I had used leftover thread, I simply ended with the long tendril, without extending the stem further. 
  • I had intended to add leaves, but one of our participants has already done a stellar job of it! Perhaps I will still tat a leaf or two from the same 2022 game - this would act as an incentive to share the E25 palm leaf pattern which inspired Elisabeth's Multifaceted leaves. See how the branches keep multiplying?!
I enjoyed tatting this piece despite the somewhat unorthodox colours which don't immediately identify it as a pumpkin, and hope that soon I'll get a chance to tat Daniela's 3D version, too. 

🌿🌿🌿🎃🎃🎃🌿🌿🌿

UPDATEhttps://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2024/08/lollygagging-or-not.html


🌿🌿🌿🎃🎃🎃🌿🌿🌿

We do have a few other veggies in our Endrucksian garden patch as inspiration, including another 3D pumpkin (from E12) by Krystyna Mura. Check them out in the Foliage directory - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EIgPKHH9V2Dg4gDZNefVfSVNRZQC6LbSfhiaWA_s-G8/view  

Many many thanks to Julie and Daniela for graciously sharing their patterns 

and to Ninetta for hosting the game! 

11 comments:

  1. I've seen 'your' type of pumpkins before, but never tried one. The kind I usually use are the small, light-colored (orange) ones. I've always called them 'pie' pumpkins - they're grown to make pumpkin pies, and they're sweeter than the big bright orange ones that are grown for carving faces and decorating for Halloween or just setting out as 'fall' decorations along with dried cornstalks and other things. Now I'm curious - I 'need' to look up the foods you named and see how to make them, just to satisfy my curiosity. :D
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you when writing this, Steph :-D I haven't ever eaten a pumpkin pie, but my MIL used to add a dash of sugar to the sabzi, making it kind of tangy. She wasn't particular about the green pumpkin either. 🎃🧡

      Delete
  2. I do like your personalised pumpkin! The outer round in tds is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic rendition of the pattern, absolutely yes, it looks like the real one! I love that you made the thick contour with tds and thank you for sharing your way to tat the dip between chains 🥰 Also, here I've seen a type of pumpkin with a very green peel but the inside was orange, so I think it's another type, I will look for your pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant very dark green peel

      Delete
    2. Glad you like it, Nin! And about the 'dip' - sometimes inspiration strikes when one is relaxed, LOL. 🎃🧡

      Delete
  4. Wonderful work! The TDS really set off the motif.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel! It is very enjoyable to tat the tds 💗🎃

      Delete