Saturday 17 August 2024

bingo, found it

Pin It now!

 My tatting-related activities are so scattered. And I feel quite scatter-brained. Wonder which came first, hmmm. Over the past several months I have been tatting samplers for the Glossary. Since it is progressing in sporadic bursts, I tend to either forget I've tatted it or misplace it. The pile-up does not help at all, neither does the various steps involved in saving and processing if not done sequentially and soon.

However I had a lucky breakthrough! Finally found the sneaky little Double Pearl chain sampler, whew. Incidentally, the PICOT Bingo game has one box for this technique, which is why I am sharing it here. 

My initial objective was to tat a short sample. However, the rhythm became quite addictive and I enjoyably continued till one of the threads ran out. What was meant as a short chain turned into a necklace.

Pearl Tatting is the double-sided technique with picots and stitches facing both sides. We are more familiar with the Single Pearl, worked with 3 threads instead of 2 for chains and it's counterpart the Maltese Ring worked with 2 threads instead of one. Pearl is the vintage term for picots. There are a few tutorials listed under Chains 🠆 Pearl Tatting, here. Mlle Riego wrote a book dedicated to this technique in 1867! 
Double Pearl tatting/chain, consequently, is an extended single pearl using extra auxiliary threads - a total of 5 threads for chains which tend to be straight.  

Double Pearl tatting requires 5 shuttles (or at least 3 or 4 shuttles + 2 or 1 ball, respectively) and encapsulation. Numerous permutations and combinations are possible, but I stuck to the basics.
You can change
  • the number of colours and their relative position,
  • the number and size of picots,
  • the addition of decorative elements thrown off the chain,
  • the thickness of threads,
  • the stitches used (double and reverse stitches) and thence the number of shuttles used,
  • embellishment with beads, etc., and so on.
● We can even have decorative chains instead of the long bare thread picots! For instance, dot picot string, bullion knots, JRs, Josephine knots, scallops, etc. 
On the left part in above image, you can see the thrown Josephine rings instead of the small picots.
TIP: If you wish to add such elements on each segment, ensure you have 5 shuttles.

I deliberately used 4 different colours. But imagine the confusion one can create if working with the same colour throughout! Even experienced tatters might find it difficult to identify how it was done, LOL.

I then continued as before, enjoying the rhythm. Josephine rings tend to break that working rhythm.
Threads used - Anchor mercerized cotton size 20 (equivalent to Lizbeth size 10) in 5 colours 
TIP: Only 4 colours are visible. The core thread can be of same thickness or thicker than the outer threads for a stiff cord. The core thread can also be made visible by simply bringing it forward, or by using Repositioning methods such as SLT, etc.
Picot gauge - 2 cms
TIP: It was easier to hold the gauge horizontally while measuring.

Starting the chain was tricky. I knotted the 5 threads together, but leaving the right length of bare thread took some trials.
Also, initially I made mistakes in maintaining a consistent overlap between threads. However, once I understood where the thread of last segment should be held while tatting the new segment, it became smooth sailing and addictive. 
TIP: Immediately after tatting a segment, I would place the shuttle to my left at the front of the work. Thus, when its turn came again, the picot overlapped from the front.

Directional or FS/BS tatting was maintained throughout. I didn't block the finished piece, except for shaping with fingers since I wanted to keep the gracefulness of the sinusoidal arches intact. 
I could've added more picots, including graduated picots, in each segment; or embellished with beads. However this was a relaxing, enjoyable tat, and I wasn't in a very adventurous frame of mind.

Since the core thread is of same thickness, it was easy to curve the straight chain. And it had become long enough to become a necklace instead of a bracelet, LOL.
TIP : Another way to ensure curvature is to shorten the picots on one side. 

I do wish I had added a few highlights such as beads and findings to finish off the 'necklace' properly. And one can use metallic threads for stiffness. Otherwise one might need to stiffen the piece for the picots to hold their shape when worn as a necklace or bracelet. So, I hope Natalie forgives me the lethargy.

Submitting this for two blocks in the PICOT Bingo
Double Pearl Chain, and 
Tat a Necklace.

And 💥Bingo💥! I have completed my first horizontal strikethrough! The middle row consisting of Tat a Necklace; Add Beads; Free Space; Graduated Picots; Catherine Wheel Join.

18 comments:

  1. Cool! I want to try it, but when?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, that's the universal dilemma of all crafters, isn't it Anonymous 😁💙

      Delete
  2. Wow! Your double pearl chain is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto what Anonymous said! I really like the look of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane, and imagine all the permutations and combinations once you start going down that path! 💛

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, and I love the pattern but when you said five shuttles my heart went help, I would love to try it and I really love the way it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we don't include thrown off rings/JRs, the 5 shuttles are not difficult to handle at all, Margaret. Like I said, one gets into such a smooth rhythm that it is actually relaxing. Just make sure the inactive shuttles do not dangle freely. 🩷

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! I think I like it best 'unadorned,' with just the picots, rather than decorated with a thrown-off ring. The graceful line of the pearl chain almost seems to 'sing' that way.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your poetic description, Steph 💗

      Delete
  6. I like the cord variation with Josephines. If tatters want to create a necklace, a natural curve can be produced by altering the stitch count on each side of the cord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely correct, Anonymous, thank you 💖

      Delete
  7. I don't know how I missed this post, but I love it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue, it was tremendous fun to tat it! I got so much into the rhythm that I didn't even try out different effects, LOL

      Delete