Tuesday 28 July 2020

picoted Josephines

Pin It now!
Oh, my poor head – it is filled up with so much tatting-related stuff that my memory bank is full! No RAM, no way to access my over-full storage capacity, despite frequent rebooting, sigh! Turns out I already used the tufted rings in the Icy Rivulet Snowflakes last year - https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2019/11/frozen-or-flowing.html. Barbara Slodka had first shared the video link (can't find the exact thread, but earlier than this - https://m.facebook.com/groups/752452334871921?view=permalink&id=2521882034595600 ; and the recent discussion - https://m.facebook.com/groups/752452334871921?view=permalink&id=3082763385174126&_rdr )

I seem to be going round in circles. Like I mentioned in the previous post (https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2020/07/applying-techniques-rakhi.html), some question either in facebook or privately, set me on the path to compare various picot formations in Josephine Rings (JR) or Josephine Knots (JK) back in Oct-Nov 2019. 
But let’s move logically ….

Picots in Josephine Rings
A study of 4 methods
For each style in this study -  

1. Regular or Interlocking Picots
( https://youtu.be/V7XbtXhpN-4 )
Picots made normally (with or without a gauge) after every half-stitch.
       JR: 1ds, (p, 1hs)x14, p, 1ds.
Notice how the picots split apart as they get longer. The long picots are termed Interlocking Picots.

2. Mrs Mee Picots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNW4CyGWzQA )
Picots made normally (with or without gauge) after every 2 half-stitches. 
  Make the picot followed by a half-stitch, and repeat the half-stitch (pic below).
      JR: 1ds, (p, 2hs)x14, p, 1ds.
This results in a larger ring, but with more stable but ‘independent’ picots and a larger center space. There is a tendency for the picots to twist decoratively if they are longer than 10mm.

3. Tuft Picots 
This requires a picot gauge through the 'leg' or loop of each half-stitch. The gauge may be placed above core thread (Nadezhda's method) or below the core thread (Ninetta's method). The beauty lies around the periphery where picots seem to be interlaced.
What Actually happens, is that the stitch itself becomes a picot! The gauge 'pushes up' the belt or horizontal bar of each stitch to lie on the outside instead of at the base of a picot as normally happens. 
The above rings have 20 picots of 5mm in size 8 perle cotton. 

Nadezhda Malysheva method - gauge above core thread
https://youtu.be/HFCimyOpoXI March 2018)
Hold the gauge above core thread as usual. But look closely – the gauge is ‘inserted’ through the open ‘leg’ or loop of the stitch rather than the main arch of hs as in #1 and #2.
      JR: 1ds, (p, 1hs)x14, p, 1ds.
Notice the outer edge of the picots – they appear interlaced or interwoven, creating a neat trim around the periphery. It almost appears as if the stitches are made loosely - which they are, in a sense. But the 10mm picots split apart as in #1.

Ninetta Caruso method - gauge below core thread
( https://youtu.be/1uTtSE8ZUJY  Aug 2017)
Hold the gauge Below the core thread, but inserted through the ‘leg’ or loop of the stitch instead of the arch. 
      JR: 1ds, (p, 1hs)x14, p, 1ds.       
When the ring is closed, both Nadezhda’s and Ninetta’s rings turn out to be The Same! However, since the former does not have a name, and it was Ninetta who created it before, I think it is proper to term them both Tuft Picots. The rings can be called Tufted Rings.

My Observations and Thoughts -
  • Of the 4 methods, only Mrs Mee’s picots can be used for joining – they remain stable due to the extra hs between picots; the other 3 are merely decorative. They form a broader JR and a larger number of picots is more visually pleasing.
  • I find that using perle cotton creates a better tufted ring as seen in the rakhi I posted earlier.
  • As seen, 5mm picots give the best result. As the picots increase in length, they tend to split apart and twist. It makes sense, because the belt/bar of the stitch no longer has any support and slides back!
  • It is important to factor in the thread size to get the desired result.
  • It will be interesting to see the effect with graduated picots! And beads.

6 comments:

  1. Clear as your usual, thank you 👍🌹🌹🌹. I've a solution for your memory bank: publish the encyclopedia of tatting. I would buy it, I'm ready to go to the bank to ask a loan 😅 I think it will be many volumes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me laugh out loud, Nin :-D I don't enjoy reading my own old posts, I doubt anybody else will - so the tomes won't sell, if at all ;-P But thanks for the thought!

      Delete
  2. Interesting effects. I must admit that I often forget tatting techniques I’ve used in the past and ‘go around again’.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What amazed me, Jane was the logical progression and how the tufts turn into interlocking picots if they are long!
      Yeah, I guess we need lists, provided we remember to consult them ;-P

      Delete
  3. How do you remember all the techniques?! Amazing! If I don't keep doing a technique, I tend to forget about it. Now & again it will pop into my memory bank, but not always when needed:) Interesting you show the differences and document them for us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My documentation is my way of keeping track and have on hand to refer back when memory fails me ;-P My pleasure, Anita

      Delete