Wednesday 14 November 2018

Sharon's flakes

Pin It now!
Just too tempting to forego! Sharon shared 2 new snowflake patterns recently and I got to work immediately. Now, they look pristine in white, and snowflakes should be white. But you know me – I want to spice up the challenge and took to colours to see how they’d look. Also, to bring out the flower within.

This is the first snowflake (pattern here) originally worked continuously with one shuttle and ball, climbing out with a split chain. 
My coloured  rendition is done with 3 strands of Anchor embroidery thread 
which is equivalent to a Lizbeth 20. And no split chains.

Black shuttle for central ring & orange 0333 'ball' for rosette chains : <1¼" or <3cms
Mustard 0306, ctm : <2¼" or 5½ cms
Green 0204, ctm : 3" or 7½ cms
T{|{T
This is the 2nd snowflake she posted here.
I used Anchor 40 this time, but worked continuously. 
Measurements after each round : 1”  ;  1½”  ; 2½" or 6 cms. 

Started with maroon, ctm for the central ring and 1st round, then switched the core thread to cream. I kept the maroon shuttle, but snipped off the ball. 
In order to get the desired colour placement and eliminate colour blips, I used 
the Slope & Roll join instead of lock join in the 2 outer rounds; 
SLT to make the split chain in maroon, 
and the Reverse Join to switch positions after the split chain.

I remembered how to do the split chain, but unfortunately the colour is hard on the eyes and somehow that segment twisted while linking. The camera shows it all, sigh !

Future Ideas:  
This snowflake could work beautifully as repeatable motifs linked for a larger lace. 
But as I worked the outer round, it struck me how beautiful it would look as a continuous doily – the ‘formula’ for the last round can be repeated (with additional side rings) ad infinitum without having to change the stitchcount at all! 
Perhaps one of the middle or last round can have the central floral motif all around ?!
T{|{T

Wish I'd taken pics after each round for both snowflakes, 
because each round is beautiful and elegant!!!
In fact the rosette reminded me of a poppy despite the orange shade.  
T{|{T

And playing around, notice how cozily the 2 designs can fit together ....
 
T{|{T

I absolutely love Sharon's diagrams – simple and clear. 

Many many thanks, Sharon!

14 comments:

  1. Gorgeous snowflakes :). Love the colours used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad, Jenn :-) Now let's hope the designer doesn't mind either ;-D

      Delete
  2. I think it is a wonderful idea to make snowflakes, flowers and I think yours are very beautiful and I wonder if it would be or make a good poinsettias too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's an idea, Carollyn! The 2nd one looks easy enough to adapt into a poinsettia. Seems like sometimes colours bring out more ideas and lateral thinking ;-D

      Delete
  3. Fabulous muskaan, I really like how they look in colour. The second one has an unusual look, coloured like that. BTW, I tried to comment on Sharon’s blog but was flummoxed by the captcha, not being American, I had no idea whether X was a traffic light or a road sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, Jane, those captcha images can often be quite confusing. There have been times when I became too frustrated to continue and left without commenting (eg Robin's blog now).
      However for Sharon's blog, all I get is the empty box which you click on.
      I'd like to see the 2nd snowflake one worked into a larger doily some time in the future :-D

      Delete
  4. They are wonderful in coloured threads, the second one reminded me that also in the Encyclopedia by deDillmont there are coloured tatting motifs, white and red or ecru and green, but usually we think to traditional lace only in white. Love your tatting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting, Ninetta, thanks :-) I, too, have discovered that ecru or cream gel well with almost any colour in tatting, so when in doubt, use ecru ;-P

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! I've saved the patterns, but haven't tried them yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snowflake season has just started, so there's still time Diane :-)

      Delete
  6. Awesome snowflakes!!! :)
    The stitches on the flower one are so pronounced that I thought it was all beads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked again, and you are so right, Sue! I enjoy working with embroidery strands and am glad my new smart phone camera did justice ;-D

      Delete
  7. Beautiful snowflakes, Of course if you don’t get snow, colour is an alternative to white,

    ReplyDelete