Saturday 17 November 2018

quick art attack

Pin It now!
When I started this blog, it was meant to be about a lot of things around the home – both creative and practical. But very soon it lost it’s way becoming almost exclusively a tatting blog. Well, let’s take a break from that T word that seems to dominate my life!

Change of seasons means switching clothes and reorganizing the closets. And this time I found 2 of my art books (yes, even my clothes almirah has a huge shelf filled with books and also that T stuff – see the T invasion there?!!!) and was pleasantly surprised at some of the ‘artwork’ I found within. Totally forgotten and neglected all these years – that is the power of T! Aaargh, see there it is again! Before it manages to squeeze in further, let me quickly upload these scans.

First off, it was tough to get a good impression despite setting the scanner to highest contrast, lowest brightness and a higher resolution. I do have a tendency to sketch and colour lightly, yet it is a tad better than what shows up in these scans. I added the black 'frames' with MS Paint.

Colour pencils, June 2010
This scene is partially from some story published in a newspaper or magazine.

Sketch pens, April 2008 
This was a phase when I was watching Neil Buchanan’s show Art Attack 
and was inspired by his excellent command, creativity and quick artwork!
I made faint pencil outlines which were later erased.
Those squiggles in the base of the bowl add a cute little touch,  methinks. 

Water colours, March 2012
This is the kind of stuff I go for – freestyle. 
I’ve used the technique on greeting cards, sarees, home linen, etc.

The above 3 were done on fairly smooth A4 sheets from this art pad. 
They came loose while scanning.

The next 4 below I found within the pages of this smaller art pad 
(I’ve cut/paste the specifics in the image. click on image to enlarge).
The sheets held together during scanning.

Mixed media, April 2008
There is charcoal, chalk, crayons, & colour pencil. 
Bummer about all these light scans - 
those roiling clouds actually came out pretty good using blue chalk.

Pastels, April 2008
I’d bought a set of 24 pastels and was eager to give them a try.

Pencil, April 2008
Another of my favourite theme for sketching : bare trees (and roots)...
 with a bird (there are 2 in this sketch if you can spot them!) or solitary leaf (O Henry’s story is among my favourite) or some such to add a spot of 'life'. 
I absolutely love the way bare branches and twigs enmesh together, yet each has a distinct identity. Leaves I do like, but they mask the unspoken majesty of bare branches.

Water colours, March 2012
Trying the wash technique.

I realise they all look quite amateurish and need a lot more details/background. 
However, they were all accomplished in single sittings! 

So a nice breather from that domineering T (major oops again!!!) in blogging? 
Do you think I should organise more frequently? ;-P


17 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures, I do like the first one out of all of them.
    Nice to show something different for a change than the T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can do it more often, Margaret. There's loads of stuff besides the big T I'd like to share ;-D

      Delete
  2. Yes, you turn up interesting work! This is absolutely not something I can do, I have to just admire from the sidelines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... just as I watch & admire from the sidelines when you spin and dye yarn , Jane ;-D

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! It's absolutely a lovely change! You should paint something new, though, you're talented and that is another T 👍🌹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, isn't that perceptive and oh so sweet, Ninetta! You do make me smile :-D

      Delete
  4. Breathtaking! What beautiful artwork! I'm glad you did some organizing. I love the tatting, but you have so much more to show off.....you are definitely multi-talented.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (((hugs))) Well, yes I do have diverse stuff to share, Stephanie, if only the big T doesn't get in my way that solidly! That tiny shuttle really knows how to embed itself, doesn't it!!
      My best work (art & embroidery) was before the advent of smart phone cameras - so no pics there.

      Delete
  5. There is no limit to your talent! I couldn't do any of these beauties to save my life! I particularly love your water colour flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, craftie sylvie, just playing around ;-P
      If you get a chance to watch Art Attack (the original with Neil Buchanan), you'll find yourself wanting and able to do quite a lot!

      Delete
  6. It is fun looking through your art pad I would stich some of those flowers you have made right to some of these drawings too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say that because this is what I have done with lots of my doodles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like your mixed media artwork and calligraphy, Margaret!!! I surely need to try out your idea :-)))

      Delete
  8. Sigh....You make me long to pull out my sketch pad! I can completely identify with domineering monsters devouring our time. Mine are predominantly sewing, crochet and reading, with every now and then a very strong urge to tat.
    Thank you for sharing these gems with us! If not "masterpieces" they are beautiful in their own right. My favorite is the tree, as much as I love color, pencil sketches are always my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This season I am determined to finish my embroidery on hanky corners. I've stopped fine embroidery work due to eyesight, but sitting in the balcony in the winter sun will be the perfect time to complete the UFOs.

      And maybe I should fill those sketch pads a bit more ;-P Just for fun! I hope you do get around to sketching again?

      Delete
  9. You truly are an artist!!! :) Fabulous artwork!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet, Sue !!! Thank you :-)))

      Delete