Thursday 21 March 2024

counts

Pin It now!
A bit of mixed media card for my March 2024 Small Decorations entry. My heartfelt thanks to splocik for graciously accepting the earring I made in February and I hope this card meets the requirements of the game. 

This is where it all started with a counting error I frequently make, despite my cautious counting! Notice that one daisy has an extra petal.

Pattern for the classic daisy is from 'The Complete Book of Tatting' by Rebecca Jones  (Fig. 122 page 47, 2011). Worked in Olympus size 40 (equivalent to Lizbeth size 20).  

Elgiva Nicholls calls this medallion a Classic Daisy formation, made with a single thread/shuttle, in 2 rounds. Olympus size 40). 

The more modern style  (coloured motif) is worked in one go, using two shuttles to throw rings off a mock center. I used the exact same pattern for the petals, but added 2 ds in the SCMR between each petal. 

Which version do you like? The Classic or the Modern?



A few more pics of the card ---


Actually when I opened my box of watercolours, I found most of the jars empty! Hubby quickly ordered a box online and while I waited for the delivery (about 15 minutes), I doodled this with the watery remains. And was too impatient to wait for the leaf to dry, hence the smudging.

Probably the last time I painted was 15 or 20 years back! 



I painted the leaves, then glued the daisies. The little orange florets are from my 2022 flag project (link below). After trying out a few arrangements, I painted the brown twigs and glued the florets. Added a few more twigs, leaves, .... and finally the diamonds. Can't even remember when or where I bought those highlights!
TIP: I deliberately glued the orange flowers on the frontside, coz the backside is more dimensional- the picots curve up a bit.
You can easily see how amateurish my painting is! Nevertheless, it felt good to hold and reacquaint myself with my brushes. This was a very hasty project - probably a half hour from start to finish. Hopefully it has opened the gates to some more doodling in the future. 

Check out the Feb gallery here - https://splocik2.blogspot.com/2024/03/male-dekoracje-galeria-lutowa.html


Related Posts
https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2017/10/meddling-with-medallions.html
https://tipsaroundthehome.blogspot.com/2022/08/har-ghar-tiranga.html

26 comments:

  1. That is a fantastic picture!!! :)
    I like the modern motif. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue 💕 Modern seems to be the favourite choice! Wonder if it has something to do with my tatting?

      Delete
    2. I love seeing your tatting!! It's truly inspirational!! Now if time would get out of my way I might get some more of your projects done, but....I now have many others going too. ;) :)

      Delete
    3. story of every crafters' life, Sue, sigh 😃

      Delete
  2. Absolutely lovely card! I love watercolours, I hope to see more from you! For the two versions of the daisy, the vintage one has a clever tech solution (also it has a good texture around the centre) and I admit it's my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nin, I have one of your hand-painted bookmarks! 💕 I love how there's a little starry flower emerging in the center of the classic one. However, my grouse is that one should know exactly how much bare thread length is needed for a neat finish.

      Delete
  3. Amateurish ? It's exquisite, from start to finish! I like both versions. For more 'modern' tatting, I prefer the modern one, but for things that need to look more 'vintage,' the original version would be my choice. Depends on how the daisies will be used, I guess.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Steph 😍 I guess you are right - every style has it's place!

      Delete
  4. Love love love your mixed media card! You’re so clever. On the daisy, I like the modern version. Bare thread spaces are tricky to deal with though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks, Jane 😍 I have the same problem with bare thread and hence rarely tat such patterns.

      Delete
  5. A treasure of a card. I like to frame special cards and rotate them in a small bit of wall space. Some may think the space is too crowded and busy, but I like seeing what creativity in the world looks like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a splendid idea, Mel! You must take a pic and show us a slice of your inspirational wall 😍

      Delete
  6. Popełnienie błędu powoduje powstanie czegoś nowego, wyjątkowego.
    Mnie często zdarzają się pomyłki w liczeniu, szczególnie przy wykonywaniu śnieżynek.
    Stokrotki podobają mi się w obu wersjach, a karta może stać się pięknym obrazkiem i dekoracją na ścianę.
    Twój link i fotka znajdą się w podsumowaniu marca.
    Miło mi, że bawisz się u mnie. :)
    Pozdrawiam ciepło.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, splocik! Some of my own patterns have emerged from a mistake 😃😍 Thanks for the fun game!

      Delete
  7. Przesliczne kwiatuszki,pozdrawiam cieplutko.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bardzo fajne wykorzystanie frywolitek - karteczka urocza powstała

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Beata 😍 It's always good to put our lace to work and spread joy!

      Delete
  9. I do prefer the moden daisy, but I have done the old one, I love the way your painted the card ready for the daisies, I think you did a great job and it looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Means a lot coming from you, Margaret, being a pro at card-making! 😍 I don't mind the classic daisy in fine threads, so long as the bare thread lengths are right.

      Delete
  10. WOW! very creative. I like both ways - who am I kidding, I just enjoy seeing tatting. Your card is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a heap, Carol, you made me smile 😁😍

      Delete
  11. I love your daisies ❣️

    ReplyDelete