Saturday 13 August 2022

har ghar tiranga

Pin It now!

 Celebrating 75 years of Independence (August 15th) with a tatted version of my flag.

Har Ghar Tiranga campaign is about flying a flag in each home. I chose to tat a flag around a 1947 coin.
It's so good to look out the balcony or window and see flags flying merrily in the monsoon breeze. 

I've been sharing my tatting progress this entire August. Now it was time to assemble. 
 
Saffron - I used marigolds to symbolise sacrifice and auspiciousness. My original intention was to have the 'petals' raised up. Couldn't accomplish it since these flowers are so tiny.

White - waves in water symbolise peacefulness, serenity, peaceful coexistence.
Glued in overlapping layers.

Green - I used leaves to symbolise prosperity though it denotes faith and chivalry.

As expected there are gaps in the green rectangle, which were later filled with single or double leaves, as required.
For the pole, I tatted an onion ring using metallic silver thread, size 20. Then I couched over doubled up strands. The pole could've been thicker, but oh well ....

Ashok Chakra - the emblem represents the eternal wheel of law. I used the 1947 coin from hubby's old collection. It was the discovery of this coin that flagged off my idea early this year.

Flag tatted in Anchor Pearl Crochet Cotton, size 8, measures 13.5cms x 9cms.
saffron - 00316 ; white ; green - 00245 ; blue - 00133

This is how the edge of the coin looked after the split ring braid was wrapped around it. I had wanted to outline the coin, but without adding bulk. Since I didn't know how to go about it, I had left it as is.

Then inspiration struck! Wound my shuttle and threaded a long tail through a needle. This tail acted as the core thread and I worked chains between rings using reverse stitch (direct tatting). The needle came in handy to slip under each ring.

And this is how it looks with a chain passing through the SRs.

A close-up of the simply encircled coin.
There should be 24 spokes on the wheel which could easily be sewed in with finer thread, but I left it open so that the coin face and date is clearly visible.

I was pleasantly surprised that gluing everything together was accomplished in a single day! Today I merely filed in the gaps with extra leaves and flowers, and worked the pole.
And I sewed down the coin instead of gluing it, to keep my options open.

The Aida cloth is mounted on an embroidery hoop (25.5 cms diameter along the inner edge).
So this is it. My artistic Indian flag in tatting. 
Hope you enjoyed my 10 day journey as I join my country in celebrating Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav!


Related Posts -

8 comments:

  1. That’s really a work of art muskaan. A beautiful tribute to your country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Jane 🥰 You have been with me every step of this journey ... appreciate it 🇮🇳🇮🇳🇮🇳

      Delete
  2. I love it and I enjoyed reading your journey in this ten days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie mille, Ninetta 🥰🇮🇳🇮🇳🇮🇳

      Delete
  3. Brilliant way to finish off the edge of the coin!! I can see this working for a few unfinished projects I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always happy to exchange ideas, Mel 🥰

      Delete
  4. Joy to India! Joy to you!
    Applause for your heartfelt creation for your country. Your patrism is electrifying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dhanyavad, Anita 🙏 It was such a fun design-as-you-go satisfying tat 💗

      Delete