Saturday 9 March 2024

exciting firsts

Pin It now!

 Editing the book, 'The Six T's of Shuttle Tatting' is creating opportunities to try out exciting techniques and effects, long in my to-try list. And learning a Lot in the process. The author, Net Best, had created one glossary for her book, and another more comprehensive glossary for her group and possibly for later digitization. We decided to combine both to make the glossary as updated as possible, which was her main goal. This also means we have to add missing sampler images. I have reached out to several of my tatting friends to contribute some specific pics (with due credit), and so far everybody has graciously given permission. 

While I won't be sharing all pics, here are a few - I love the way these turned out!  

1. BROOMSTICK PICOT - 

I followed Karen Cabrera's Lesson #104 - https://youtu.be/yp5W6ZrDF9I

And since the long adjoining picots need to be joined to create the effect, I allowed my shuttles to create this little motif - like a flame within a flame. 
Is it interesting enough for the pattern to be shared?
Although I'm sure there are tons of tatters who will simply count the stitches and tat it up, and we all know who will get the credit ... yes, Pinterest, LOL. 
I used really thick thread (probably a size 3) so that the effect shows up in thumbnail pics.


2. DANCING PICOTS -
I followed Karen Cabrera's Lesson #107 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX7Ig978Xg4
This is a variation of the Daisy Picot and requires 2 shuttles.
I encapsulated the 2nd shuttle thread within the first half-stitch at the start and the last half-stitch at the end. (Judith Connors' tip).
While I tatted over the shuttle 1 tail at the start, I didn't do it for the Sh2 thread, although it can be done.
NOTE: All picots here (bare threads) can be both decorative and functional (for joining).


3. INTERWOVEN  SPLIT  RING  CORD -
This 2-shuttle variation is attributed to Wally Sosa, and I referred to Jane McLellan's Choker patternhttps://janemactats.blogspot.com/2012/04/choker-pattern.html  [In the right panel on her blog page, you can find the pdf links for the lovely beaded versions of choker as well as a necklace].
All split rings are 8/8. This time I used Anchor size 20.
It comprises a red foundation cord tatted to desired length. Then the teal cord is worked, weaving the red cord alternately over and under through the open ring before it is closed. 
It is such a lovely piece! However, I have no idea how to use it. It is a bit short for a friendship bracelet coz I ran out of thread and don't wish to add more. 
Any ideas how I could use it?


I hope you enjoyed seeing and reading this, and will try to use these techniques in future tatting. And adding beads for even more variations. I certainly hope to incorporate my new learnings some day. For the present, I am busy tatting more samplers and working on the book, to the exclusion of all else. If I don't concentrate on it it will never get done. Our target is to finish it before year end.

And there are more to share ....

23 comments:

  1. Love the broomstick picot! Very effective. You could use the interlocking piece as a bookmark perhaps. Yes, write the pattern for the flame and claim the copyright yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane 😍 Will indicate the pattern. Unfortunately the cord can't be used as a bookmark due to its thickness.

      Delete
  2. I love the broomstick picot!!! :) And your design is great!!! :) Would make terrific earrings!! :)
    The other pieces are great too!! :)
    You could possibly add a micro-macrame chain to your interwoven split-ring cord and make it into a bracelet. ;) Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a heap, Sue 😍 Micro-macrame, now that's in interesting idea! Or perhaps a Kumihimo cord!

      Delete
    2. Well, now you have some ideas how to use that piece. ;)

      Delete
  3. The broomstick picot is my favorite, but they all look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane 😍, it was a fortunate chance that the yellows showed up in the broomstick picot, making it resemble a flame! I love it, too.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing. These tatting techniques are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lelia 😍 Tatting really has a vast range of effects and techniques, though we generally stick to a select few. It's always fun to learn new ones

      Delete
  5. Świetne nowości. :)
    Najbardziej podoba mi się nr 1.
    Pozdrawiam ciepło.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, splocik, it is certainly the major favourite 😍

      Delete
  6. Always could make a bookmark for the choker. Add a flower with an accent thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anonymous, an idea is taking shape 😁😍

      Delete
  7. All beautiful! I love the split ring cord, but I'm absolutely sure that all the book will be wonderful 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nin, am working towards it 😁😍
      But every person has limitations ;-P

      Delete
  8. Maybe the split ring cord could be used as a little lanyard for keys. I LOVE the broomstick picot! Please do publish the pattern. It would be a shame if someone did pirate your design for other tatters to only be able to find someone else’s version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous, will share the pattern soon. 😍 I want to tat another and enter it in one of the games I'm playing this year. Love your short lanyard idea!

      Delete
  9. Excellent work and beautiful photos! Cheers, Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, buds, I am having tremendous fun tatting up 'new' technique samplers! Although I did make a counting error in one medallion recently and will have to re-tat it 😍

      Delete
  10. I am glad i come back toi look at this I am sure I left a comment, Wonderful designs, you bring us some wonderful new techniques and inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your support and effort, Margaret 😍 It's been a good journey for me, too, trying out a lot of these techniques.

      Delete
  11. Wow, a new book, how awesome! I do really like the broomstick picot design you came up with. And the cord can be incorporated into a bigger design if you add more elements. You can still make a bracelet if you unite the ends with a bigger motif, like a flower or butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Love your bracelet idea especially since it will require very little extra work 😁 I did have a few other ideas and now have to see what mood I'm in when I pick it up again. 😍

      Delete